Sexing shrimp

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Ladykelly

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out sexing my shrimp. Think I know how but wouldn't mind some expert advice. I think I have 2 mature female cherry shrimp. And one blue diamond. I cant tell if cherry ready to berry.... the blue one I think might.... I am going to post a picture of it. Hopefully it clear but if I'm correct I think I see couple eggs in her saddle. I think I see a shrimp shedding shell in a leaf too.....
20191218_061409.jpg

I can see a very blurry blue shape but it is not clear enough to even tell it's a shrimp I'm afraid.

You don't usually see individual eggs in the saddle - I have never seen any in my red cherry shrimps, and I never saw any when I had amano shrimps. The saddle area is quite obvious; you'll know when the female is about to release eggs as every male will be whizzing about the tank looking for her. That in itself can be quite alarming the first time you see it ;)

Lol I have one that does that every day.... doesn't sit still. I saw in you tube something about females like being in highest areas of tank when they ready to breed. A couple of mine like to hang out on the moss at top of tank. I'm pretty sure I have at least 3 females they are big shrimp. Not sure about others because of age. Some are still babies others I think are juvenile. I think I have a good start on my colony. About 20ish shrimp and a lot of hiding places. I usually only see around 7 at a time. I will enter tank in next aquarium contest think it looking great so far.

Most reactions

trending

Back