Setting Up The 29g. Totally Psyched I Have Saltwater In My Living Room

Probably correct. Have you tried physically blowing into the pumps?

Yes we did blow into the pumps. Well my hubby did :blush: Not sure how it turned out. He didn't say anything about having any issues doing it so I assume it's ok. He took it clear apart also...impeller out and everything.

There's a ton fine bubbles now that it's saltwater. Could tell a dramatic different even at sg 1.015

I'm also prepared to order a new pump if we need one:
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idp...71~isKit~0.html

Have it sitting in my "cart" now. What food should I get as a staple? Was thinking a small container of formula 1 & 2 pellets. Will have a mixture of carnivorous and herbivore fish so I thought this is a good starting point.

Now I'm having issues decided what to put in here. My first fish will be a yellow watchman goby and I've read about the symbiotic relationship with a tiger pistol shrimp. The thing that bothers me is I'd like to have a jawfish also, but that's a bottom dwelling fish and I don't want it obliterated by the shrimp. I'd also like a cleaner shrimp or a pair of cleaners. I've read of pistols taking them out. Anyone with any experience on the pistols or pistol/goby relationships?

Well I decided to go ahead and clean a bag of sand and put it in. I'll just have to push the base rocks right down to the glass. That's why I'm only doing one bag right now.

I couldn't believe how dirty/dusty the minimal rinse bag turned out to be. It was insane :crazy: Here's some photos to show how dirty it really was.

First poured in. Filled the bowl about 1/4 - 1/3 full.

100_4925.jpg

After I filled the bowl with water and swished a time or two.

100_4924.jpg

After 5 rinses

100_4926.jpg
100_4927.jpg

After 10 rinses and it's still a bit cloudy.

100_4928.jpg
100_4929.jpg

After it's added to the tank it's STILL CLOUDY :eek:

100_4930.jpg
100_4931.jpg

Oh my God, I almost forgot.

I DROPPED THE LIGHT BAR INTO THE TANK!!!! by accident. I reached to grab it quick and received a little zap. At that point I started swearing like a drunken sailor (no offense to my Navy sister) and my hubby came running. I NEVER swear, except during my bowling league so he knew something was wrong. We unplugged everything and pulled the light out. At least it was just the cheap light that came w/the tank originally. He thinks it may work again after it dries out. It was still partially lit in the tank.

What an experience!!!

just make sure you get all salt tof the bar and light fittings and plugs etc, as salt conducts, ive been there and done it. it really hurts lol, glad your okay

I have a GFCI unit now :D

And I went shopping yesterday. Dr's foster/smith had my power compact lights on sale so I went ahead and purchased 2 10,000k and 2 50/50's as well as some Forumula 1 small pellets and a coralife digital thermometer.

Also, the BIG purchase. I bought some live rock today. I got it from and friend and ended up with about 27ish lbs for $50. He was really generous and I'm grateful to him for that.

May try switching the rock around later...we'll see, but this is what I have so far:

100_4975.jpg

That ph on the right(sitting on the bottom) will go on the skimmer when I can get the plastic piece from the old ph out of the black pipe :rolleyes:

Now to wait for a tidbit and then I'll add some CUC/fish.

I bet your so glad you got your rock now, enless hours of fun watching it, I never thought it could be so enthralling.

My other half has been telling me off for talking to CUC and fish, it gets you like that.

Good buy with the GFCI, at least that means you will be here to tell us all about things.

Wish I could get some power compacts, am looking out for some second hand now we can't buy them new.

wow careful with the electrics there. thankfully nothing happened :)

its great to see your tank coming along nicely. you'd find yourself staring at the rocks pretty often these days :lol:

lol yea. Never thought pet rocks would make such a comeback. :lol:

I was talked out of doing pillars by my friend. He said when another guy tried pillars he started w/300 lbs of LR and ended up with 100 lbs due to the rock shattering or breaking in half. When he was doing the tank for our local zoo he wen through quite a few rocks too. I decided that if a pro can't do it then I won't try it for my first tank...maybe later though.

Thanks for all the kind comments guys. I can't wait until the rock starts coloring up. I have a few places marked for a torch or hammer coral possibility :)

I'll check the ammonia, nitrite readings tonight and post them.

lol Just getting over winter and already we have Severe Thunderstorm Warnings with winds gusting 60 miles per hour + :rolleyes:

Hope my power doesn't go out. Earlier there was a tornado warning about an hour south of us :crazy:

Hope my power doesn't go out. Earlier there was a tornado warning about an hour south of us

If you get them often like we do (I live on the lancashire moors, its not how often really but the length of time we are out) either sort out some battery airpumps or do what we have done and get a generator. Our generator will run the external on 55g + airstone, at least one powerhead on nano reef, the tv and our fridge (other half has very expensive medication in there).

At least now I have peace of mind if we are in the house, or find out not long after.

Most reactions

Back