Setting Up My New Tank

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

At least 4 at that length, even that probably wouldnt be enough. To be honest, with a 5 foot tank thats 2 foot deep, I'd go for metal halide lighting. FOr some perspective, I have a 3'x1'x2' (LWH) tank with 2 96watt power compact bulbs on it and I have some difficulty growing high-light corals. Does your tank have 1 or two braces across the top as that will greatly affect your lighting decision.

just one, right in the center. although i dont think i will be groing coral, it would be nice if i wanted to do so. i would be going for these interpet starters and bulbs, i know that people have had some problems with them, but it does seem that they have now sorted the lights out . well i hope they have :X

Oh, if you're going the fish-only route then yeah, power compacts are fine. I'd go with the 4 bulbs still cause even 200watts isnt much light on a 5-foot tank :). If in the future you do decide to have some corals, I'd consider two electronic ballast 175watt metal halide lights. Or perhaps 2 250watt magnetic ballast lights. 150's are probably too weak.

TBH

The amount you will shell out on T5's you would be just as cheap to get Halides (pm me if you are interested & I will tell you a cheap supplier of Halides)

T5 Power Compacts do run very hot & are a complete PITA to keep attached to the hood, I had T5's for about 2 - 3 Years & would never use them again

Saying that I have a few 55w ballests for sale :lol: :lol: Excellant lights honest Gov' :shifty: :shifty:

If you are goig down the T5 route then the more lightin the better

Most reactions

Back