Setting up a new tank, 500L

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

bunjiweb said:
You don't need a CO2 pump unless you have lots of plants as an air stone or Surface disturbance will pump enough natural CO2 from the air for some plants to survive.

Ben
Surface disturbance will not dissolve CO2 into the water, surface disturbance aids in the release of CO2 from the water because it knocks it out of solution and it can bubble off into the air. This is why most people who inject CO2 will try to minimize surface disturbance as it will remove all the CO2 that they've taken the effort to get into the water in the first place.

Soon =)

Nothing has happened. The metal halides are still waiting. My dad seems to be busy all the time so he doesn't have time to help me with them. But maybe soon. :thumbs:

Everything looks good, no algae (exept some red brush algae in the branches), everyone are happy and spawning, my Santeri (L-001) has grown a lot.

I need to get some more light so I can take a picture of the whole tank.

Bad picture, but it's almost the whole tank :D

140804.jpg

ChriX said:
bunjiweb said:
You don't need a CO2 pump unless you have lots of plants as an air stone or Surface disturbance will pump enough natural CO2 from the air for some plants to survive.

Ben
Surface disturbance will not dissolve CO2 into the water, surface disturbance aids in the release of CO2 from the water because it knocks it out of solution and it can bubble off into the air. This is why most people who inject CO2 will try to minimize surface disturbance as it will remove all the CO2 that they've taken the effort to get into the water in the first place.
Yes quite right! Surface agitation and air stones will drive of the CO2, like many things in this hoby though the balance needs to be right, during the daylight hours plants will run the process of photosynthesis, taking in CO2 and putting out O2, plants will do OK without the use of CO2 but they will never do really well. When the lights go out the plants do the exact opposite they will take in the O2 and put out the CO2. Now we can see where we need the balance as if we are injecting CO2 it in most cases is injected all the time i.e. during the night when the plants are already puttign out CO2, so we need a little surface agitation to drive some of that off.

Wacking air stones in the tank does nothing but kill off the plants as it drives off the CO2 they need for photosynthesis, in a planted tank a little surface agitation is perfectly adiquate no need for an airstone and it looks a lot more natural without an airstone in my opinion.

Anyway I think I got that right. :whistle:

Nice tank by the way rain, looking excellent! :nod:

No metal halides yet. But maybe soon. Or not. We'll see.

Not so much vegetation today:

amme.jpg

And half of my room:

kaikkeinpyhin.jpg

Or perform a waterchange. :D

Great looking tank, its maturing very nicely!

DAMN GIRL, That tank is so Awesome.

The plants have come on leaps and bounds since i last saw it.

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

No kidding about the plants...........

And Rain,.................how long does it take you to clean that tank? :unsure: :*)

What kinds of limbs are those hanging down into your tank? I always wonder what kinds you can use but never bother to ask anyone. If someone else has asked this I missed it, so I apologise for asking twice. :D

I am glad you are still posting here. It is a great joy to keep up on your tank! :wub:

Hi again.

It took about half an hour per week to do the water change and trim the plants, I used hose and a circulation pump to speed up the process. The plants on top of the tank are Ficus pumila and Epipremnum pinnatum, the first one can tolerate some of its leaves being underwater, but not all. The latter doesn't like to be submerged for long. But they can be grown using the hydro culture method, roots in the water, other parts of the plants in the air.

About the tank:

TB, fish tuberculosis, Mycobacterium sp. infection

The tank is now going to spend few months without water and I will desinfect it repeatedly until I think there's no more Mycobacterium. Some of the fish I needed to euthanise, others went to a place where the people are aware of the infection. Plants, tree brandhes, sand and all the rest I had to desinfect and get rid of them.

:rip:

But don't worry. My bettas aren't infected. They, their tanks, their food, the other accessories haven't been in touch with the infected tank. I have made sure of it. There isn't fish tuberculosis anymore here in any tank. I bought new tanks and new equipment for breeding and I intend to desinfect all the stuff regularly.

I wouldn't like to talk about this anymore. I would really appreciate if there wouldn't be much questions and stuff. I spent a lot of time making this tank beautiful and then I had to rip it apart. It makes me sad and angry.

Now there's only me and my bettas.

Most reactions

Back