Setting Up A 29 Gallon Fowlr For Now

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kj23502

lazy dayz
Reaction score
Would the above fish work together in a 30" 29 gallon? Just 1 of each. Or would that be a nightmare? Has anyone done it?

** was asking about keeping two small dwarf angels in the tank.

darn, i guess i was just dreaming....lol

Since I have my 29 gallon free atm, I'm going to make a mini sw tank :)

I already have some of what I'd need. Aragonite sand, lights (96 watts...should be good if I want to keep low light corals right?). I'm thinking I'll buy:
1)garbage can to store R/O water & small bucket to mix sw
2)sw mix
3)refractometer
4)2 ph
5)2 smallish sw heaters
6)hob filter-prob a biowheel.

I'd want to do fo or fo with some lr maybe. I was thinking that the r/o water should contain little to no nitrates so if I keep up on wc, I should be ok for a cuc w/out using a skimmer. I'm hoping to do this at the end of september as I have about 30 extra hours at work so far (to bad I get it on my September paycheck and not August). Is it feasible to keep one or other angel? I was reading that coral beautys are more tolerant and generally better "community fish". What is everyone's views? Musho suggested getting a hob that I can make into a refugium. If I do that and get an awesome pod population going would it be possible to add a mandarin? I'm willing to occassionally buy pods from someone if I need them to help restock the population.

So...what do you guys/gals think of this? BTW, when I set up my "monster tank" probably after christmas, I do intend to keep this tank sw and use my 10 gallon as my QT tank.

i would always try and use live rock, it's one of the best parts of keeping a marine tank just seeing the different things which emerge from it

yes you should be fine without a skimmer as long as you stock sensibly

am in a similar position, weighing up whether to keep a dwarf angel and whether my tank is really big enough, i think yours is probably more suitable given the dimensions

both should be fine if added last to the tank and you never know, both may be coral friendly

a HOB fuge will never supply enough food for a mandarin, you could try and find one that is confirmed to take frozen food, but even then, it will get out competed at feeding time by just about any other fish in the tank and the need a lot of food for a fish their size. why not just get one for the big tank when it's up and matured?

i would always try and use live rock, it's one of the best parts of keeping a marine tank just seeing the different things which emerge from it

Def. some lr, we'll have to see how much. The biowheel is a supplement :)

yes you should be fine without a skimmer as long as you stock sensibly
Hmmmmm.... sensibly? The mind sees what the tank can't handle :lol:

I get your point :)

am in a similar position, weighing up whether to keep a dwarf angel and whether my tank is really big enough, i think yours is probably more suitable given the dimensions
what are your tank's dimensions?

both should be fine if added last to the tank and you never know, both may be coral friendly
I've heard that the flame can be more aggressive in general and it makes me hesitate. I'll check on price also :hey: Part of that is a determining factor.

a HOB fuge will never supply enough food for a mandarin, you could try and find one that is confirmed to take frozen food, but even then, it will get out competed at feeding time by just about any other fish in the tank and the need a lot of food for a fish their size. why not just get one for the big tank when it's up and matured?
:( sulking....ok....still sulking..............Just thought I'd ask.

I def want some kind of goby...yellow watchman maybe. I'm thinking about a jawfish??? Maybe a single clown? Or maybe doing a single dwarf lion :good: Still quite a few choices for a 30 gallon.

What kind of ph do you recommend for a 30 gallon?

Prolly somethin like a Koralia 2 for a 29g tank. You can put a dwarf angel in there, but be prepared for it to nip corals that you may also want to keep... Flames are surely more expensive too ;)

Since this is your first tank, my vote would be for the yellow watchman and a clown. Go with the simpler hardierer fish first time out ;)

Prolly somethin like a Koralia 2 for a 29g tank. You can put a dwarf angel in there, but be prepared for it to nip corals that you may also want to keep... Flames are surely more expensive too ;)

Since this is your first tank, my vote would be for the yellow watchman and a clown. Go with the simpler hardierer fish first time out ;)
Thanks. After a while of the clown and watchman, would I be able to add another fish or two? Or would I be stuck to 2 fish? If I can only have 2 fish, then I'll surely have to get a crab and shrimp of some sort for more to look at it. Would that sound alright?

i don't remember atm, but I read something like flames are less likely to eat certain corals than others...Have you heard anything like that?

at live aquaria.com coral beauties are on sale for $17!! Too bad I couldn't get one now...regular is $23 to $26 depending on the collection location.

Flames are $50.

I think I'll ge these clowns: Black & White Ocellaris Clownfish - Tank-Bred. But first I gotta get my supplies...lol

Sometimes I think too much :)

Lol, don't get too over your head, you still need to setup that big tank :lol:

Lol, don't get too over your head, you still need to setup that big tank :lol:
:)

And I will. :D Probably sometime after Christmas :good: I'm thinking I'll probably keep this 29 gallon tank a sw tank when I do set up the big one. I'll prob use the 10 gallon as my QT tank. Most of the species I'll get will be young and smaller ones so the 10 gallon should work...I hope!! :blink:

I'm still trying to work out what I could do with my 55 gallon tank :unsure: If I set it up, I'll have to tear it down eventually. I don't want my tanks in the basement. It's mostly unfinished and we don't spend any time down there. I want my tanks where I can see them. My hubby says "no tanks in the bedroom" ..lol.. At least I'm not asking for a T.V. in there :rolleyes: All our corners/wall are mostly taken up on the main floor. I don't want to really overcrowd the house. We don't feel comfortable putting such a huge tank in one of the kids bedrooms either (the 2 older kids are only 4 and 6). I'm thinking that I may sell it. I don't know what else to do w/it.

I also have a 75 gallon tank sitting around waiting for a stand for it. That'll go where the 29 gallon tank/stand is. I'll put the 29 underneath of the 75 gallon. I need to build the stand for the 75 to move my cichlids out of the 125 gallon tank so I can sell it and begin to build the stand for my 120 gallon sw tank. Soo much stuff to do. On top of that I want to paint the kids' bedrooms and the living room (before we get the final setup in place). It's hard to do b/c we also have a 1 year old (Todays his birthday) and he doesn't like sitting and watching. He wants to get in the middle of the action, of course. I suppose all in due time. Enough with my blabbering. I can talk(type) forever :p

You'll love to have a big tank in your basement to store RO and or mixed saltwater ;)

You'll love to have a big tank in your basement to store RO and or mixed saltwater ;)
Large garbage can probably...but the 55 gallon would suffice for r/o water maybe? It's my understanding that sw mix can't sit for awhile in clear containers b/c bacteria and things can start growing??

I'm going to build my equipment list here for people to see(and for them to make adjustments to):
1)I think I'm going to go w/2 Hydor Koralia Nano Powerhead just incase 1 stops working. At least there will be another to help keep it flowing. Should be 480 gph total. About $30 each.

2)I don't know that I want to crowd my tank w/2 heaters in case one fails...which brand would you all overwhelming support yourselves? Right now I'm looking at Marineland Visi-Therm Stealth Submersible Aquarium Heaters. I'm thinking if it's really good to have 2 heaters just in case, I'd get a 100watt and a 50 watt. Around $20+.

3) What bio wheel do you all suggest for the supplement? It's true that R/O water should have 0 nitrate right? So if I keep up on water changes, nitrate shouldn't be an issue and I can keep inverts??

4)omg, and what kind of salt? There are tons out there? Corallife, Instant Ocean, Red Sea, Sea Chem, Oceanic??

5) refractometer $50 ish one.

6)Some kind of master test kit.
> Marine Lab Master Test Kit-pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and alkalinity tests $25ish maybe...I can't remember
>API Saltwater Master Liquid Test Kit -pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate $15-$20

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back