Setting Up A 10 Gallon... Please Help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

evelester

Reaction score
Ok, we have a 10 gallon that we are about to start cycling, we really wanted to go bigger, but we couldn't, we had the 10 gallon from a while back and decided to use it. I have determined that we will be able to have a few dwarf type cichlids...thats my question

the supplies I have so far are;

10 gallon tank
Penguin Aquarium Power Filter 100B
Incandescent Hood, 20", Black
Top Fin® Floating Glass Aquarium Thermometer
601135 Visi-Therm Deluxe Heater 50 Watt
net
master test kit
chlorine remover

Now I would like to know what else I need to set this up, such as what type of substrate, do they need a bubble stick/stone, any extra chemicals, things like peat or logs, etc.... how much decoration, etc, and anything majorly different from cycling a regular freshwater tank I need to know, (I have a established 10 gallon community tank already)

And what type of cichlids will be best for a 10 gallon, hubby really wants to do cichlids, and has his heart set on it. (first we were going to do a salt water, but finally convinced him 10 gallons was just NOT big enough for any type of salt water...let me know if I am wrong and if we would be better off doing salt water in this set up)

he knows he wants the cichlids and one Figure Eight Puffer (sold at our LFS, he is set on getting this :)) so with that in mind, what types do you recommend and how many, he does want something colorful or interesting looking. Also what other fish if any would be ok, like a alge eater or something... if there is room....

thanks in advance for any and all advice, and yes, we are definately doing a fishless cycle this time, I have learned alot since the last set up! :)

i think you could fit... max 3 DWARF cichlids in there, and thats being generous.

a 10 gallon salt water might be a better choice, although very advance, you could make a nano tank. which you could have maybe 2 or 3 small fish, and a fiew invertebrates, and of course the coral

cichlids and a puffer will NOT go together fyi. if you want cichlids, read some stuff about them around these forums.

thanks so much for the quick response, I think we will go with the saltwater, the nano tank is a great idea, and I work from home so I have pleanty of time to devote to it in terms of care and research, i didn't even think of that option for some reason. thanks again!!

if your gonna make a nano tank, make SURE you do your research. for saltwater its an utmost importants, (well, it is for all tanks) but you know what i mean.

Tell your husband he can have *either* a species tank with multies (small Tanganykan shelldwelling cichlids, not colourful but full of character) *or* a small puffer species tank. Not both. Unless you buy two tanks, of course.

A 10 gallon marine nano tank sounds *very* difficult to me and expensive to run for what you are getting.

10Gall isnt big enough for any Puffers bar the dwarf puffer, even then you would only get 2 in the tank max!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back