Serpae Tetras attacking Corydoras

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Holm_Tanks.

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a group of four corydoras and a bn pleco in my aquarium, they were in there over a month before I added the tetras. I researched the tetras before purchasing them, I read that serpae's are semi-agressive. But I really like this fish, so I researched more. I read they would not nip at the cory's because they are bottom feeders and the tetras are mid level so they wouldn't care and I read of other people that had no problems with keeping serpae's and cory's together. I also read that the bigger the school of serpae's the less aggressive they are. I got 16 serpae tetras, and in the mornings they attack the cory's and their fins look pretty rough now. And as the day gos on the tetras get more peacful. It's a 30-gallon tank with driftwood, rocks, heavily planted, and dark sand. After my research, I thought they would be fine with the cory's and it sounds like that is what others experiences are. Any ideas on how I can reduce or stop the nipping? Or if you have any ideas why they are nipping the cory's?

Serpae tetra's can be very mean and aggressive. I had two of them and one starved the other. I would suggest separating the Serpae tetra's from the cory's or giving them to a fish store that is willing to take them in.

:( I really liked these fish, I wish they worked out better! I can ask my lfs if they will take them back, Id rather keep them but I wanna do whats best.

If you have another tank, you could keep them in there should it be suitable for them. If you have to take them back, take a look around the tanks at the store and see how well they are treating the fish there. If the tanks are dirty or they are not removing the dead bodies, it may be better to look elsewhere in terms of places to return them.

The only extra tank I have is a ten-gallon I won't put them in there it is too small. I'd be fine with returning them to the original store they take good care of the tanks and fish. I was really hoping there was something I could do to rid of the problem so I could keep them. I would also like to know if there's a reason the fish are like this, after all my research my case seems very atypical. :confused:

Its tricky going off what the internet says. I had a similar situation with my corydoras and Odessa barbs. I read everywhere that Odessa barbs are very peaceful (for barbs) and didn't receive any interjections about keeping them with the corys.
Not long after, I witnessed them bullying the corys and so I had to rehome them (the barbs) into another tank. I know I'm not talking about serpae here.. but, just that I read one thing and experienced something different.
Corydoras are ridiculously peaceful fish. Not a single agressive thought ever enters their heads. And its sad to see them bullied!
With the barbs, theyd sort of sneak up on them. Get close, which the corys didn't mind, and then suddenly would strike at their dorsal fin.
Unless you can single out an offending serpae, then I can't imagine matters improving to be honest, and I think you'll have to make the decision on which you want to keep long term.

Yes that sounds a lot like my situation, I heard that they should be fine with the corys but they aren't. The serpaes do the exact same thing, they will get close then nip the dorsal fin or the tail of the cory. I talked to my lfs and she said they should be fine together as well. She recommended I feed more often and in smaller amounts and this might help with the nipping. But so far nothing (she told me this a few days ago). The corys are looking really rough and I'm worried, is there a chance she'll refund me for the serpaes so I can get a different fish?

What corys are they? Whatre the dimensions of your other tank? Might be better to get them in there rather than have the serpaes keep attacking them. Give them chance of survival and longer time for you to rehome either set of fish

They are bronze corydoras. I was just thinking of moving the serpae i ddnt think about moving the corys. The other tank is 20l x 10w x 12h. Do you think she'll refund or no?

Yes that sounds a lot like my situation, I heard that they should be fine with the corys but they aren't. The serpaes do the exact same thing, they will get close then nip the dorsal fin or the tail of the cory. I talked to my lfs and she said they should be fine together as well. She recommended I feed more often and in smaller amounts and this might help with the nipping. But so far nothing (she told me this a few days ago). The corys are looking really rough and I'm worried, is there a chance she'll refund me for the serpaes so I can get a different fish?
Unfortunately, many pet store workers have no clue when it comes to fish. They'll say whatever it takes to make the sale or in some cases just give you an answer that sounds right but has no foundation in facts. They may refund you for the serpaes, I would personally just take the serpaes in (should that be your decision) and tell them you want to rehome them. Don't expect to get your money back, but if you do that is an added bonus. Alternatively, they may give you a store credit.

I agree that the cories should go in the 10 gallon until you can resolve the situation. They are under extreme stress in the serpae tank and that makes them very susceptible to illnesses.
I had this problem with cories and tiger barbs and Byron told me I should seperate them immediately. I put the cories in a ten gallon and ordered a big new tank.

Unfortunately, many pet store workers have no clue when it comes to fish. They'll say whatever it takes to make the sale or in some cases just give you an answer that sounds right but has no foundation in facts. They may refund you for the serpaes, I would personally just take the serpaes in (should that be your decision) and tell them you want to rehome them. Don't expect to get your money back, but if you do that is an added bonus. Alternatively, they may give you a store credit.
I am going to call the store tomorrow and see if she will take them (and maybe refund them). If so I will take them asap. I will remove the cories meanwhile to help them.

Be easier to give the lfs the 4 corys..? When the time comes and you end up with another big tank as we all inevitably do in this hobby.. you can rekindle your love for corydoras and get 20+ of them

I considered it, but heres what went through my head.
-she might not take them because they are injured (the nipped fins)
- I wanted a peaceful community tank
-I also have other inhabitants and I'm afraid if I remove the corys the tetras will harass the others. There are cherry shrimp and a young bn pleco, the tetras only nip the corys. Time to time they will chase the plec or a shrimp and they will do hide. If I remove the corys then they'll become the target
-If I get rid of the serpaes and replace them with a more peaceful schooling fish then everyone in the tank will be comfortable

They are on the avoid list. Tiger Barbs like. The other tetras like Candy Cane or Bleeding Hearts are much more community oriented..but even they can take a bite every now and then. But Serpae are holy terrors.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back