Seriously Fish database

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Essjay

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I use Seriously Fish's database as my main source when researching fish. I have just tried to look something up and I get a 404 error message. When I googled SF, the first item was titled "Seriously Fish - Domain Name Expired".

Does anyone know what is happening at Seriously Fish? Has it gone forever?

It seems they know about the problem and are trying to fix it. They have a facebook page

The Facebook page has not been updated since May 2, so this is not a recent acknowledgement.

The site went "off-line" back in April/May for a full week, and again a few weeks back it was off for two days. But the current "domain name expired" is new this time.

I am a regular contributor to the scientific data in the knowledge base, and I've worked closely with the site owner, Matt Ford, for a few years now; most recently I was revising the loach family entries. Matt has not been responding to anyone's emails so far as I am aware. I'm rather worried frankly, for Matt as well as the site. He is a tremendous fellow.

I do not have the private emails of anyone other than Matt so I can't contact the others.

Byron.

Last edited:
I though the same. It all looks a little strange. Fingers crossed here!

Panic over.

I've just tried Seriously Fish and it's up and running. As it is 8:30 here, I don't know when it came back as I've been asleep ;)

I've waited patiently during the down times where there was just a 404 error message, but the 'domain name expired' had me worried.

Curious. After reading your post, timed at 5 mins ago, I loaded SF perfectly.

Is it back to its 'sometimes there, sometimes not'?

The site is coming up for me.

414 URL too large can be caused by a number of things:
1) the physical request URL is too large - this is often caused by malicious inject attacks, or just simply badly formatted web addresses
2) web POST/GET (the method used by your PC to send Data, or to make a request to receive data - a common way for websites to work) methods again being too long

there's probably others but I've barely dealt with these before. I'd say that a combination of the initial 404 and now the 414 (assuming you aren't trying to hack) probably means they (or their hosts) have been doing maintenance and had a few slip ups :) either way it seems that everything is ok now.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back