Serious Fishless Cycle Help Please

Ok but this shouldn't have an effect all the time though will it? I mean if I leave it a few days now, then add some ammonia hopefully the prime will have weakened allowing the ammonia to build?

I really can't answer that, Baz, but I think I'd be tempted to syphon it all off and start again with a different dechlorinator. You'll not have lost anything as the cycle has failed to start yet because of the lack of ammonia. I think you'll have more control if you start again altho others with more experience using Prime may have other advice to offer.

Thank you il search the forums to see what people have said about prime I hope it's not because of that I only bought 2 days ago after starting a tank on R/O water then getting told this can't be done I'm just throwing money away here lol

baz2126 said:
Hi thank you for replying I added the right amount on the first day and going off my chart for testing it was saying it was really low I mean the colours on the chart range from yellow then through greens until u get to blue which I'm aiming for it doesn't seem to be changing from the first colour. How can I be certain to trust the calculator when I haven't seen the ammonia rise at all. And I plan on keeping guppies, corys, glowlights and a fighter but it's really depressing me because that's looking a long way away with how this is going
sad.png

As Mamashack said, test kits can be faulty.  Even if you get sensible readings you shouldn't trust your test kit to be super accurate.  They are cheap hobby kits, not scientific lab equipment.

I would put far more faith in the calculator.  If you double what the calculator tells you to add then you be fairly confident that you added 6ppm.

Prime can affect your test readings but I doubt it is wholly responsible.  Yes it can detoxify ammonia but only temporarily for about 24 hours, after that you should see the ammonia reappear again.  Do not add more ammonia thinking that the Prime has made it disappear for good!  Anyway I don't think that Prime can detoxify as much ammonia as you are adding.

I would chuck out all the water in that tank, add 4.5 ml of your Kleenoff as directed by the calculator and leave it alone.  Get it checked with an alternative test kit in case yours is faulty.

Better that you make the mistakes now than when you've got the fish - altho we've all been there and done that too at some time or toher

erm that should read other* lol

I added the necessary quantity of Prime, waited 24 hours and cycled. The waiting was more to get the temperature settled, but as it turns out, it may have helped in that the Prime didn't "detoxify" the ammonia.

Gruntle said:
I added the necessary quantity of Prime, waited 24 hours and cycled. The waiting was more to get the temperature settled, but as it turns out, it may have helped in that the Prime didn't "detoxify" the ammonia.
So you actually managed to cycle your tank using prime, I'm going to take a water sample to my lfs and see what results they get.
I've retested the water this morning the ammonia I put in has been in for 2 days now and my results still came back saying it was <0,05??? I've done everything right so far set up my tank, added the tap water dechlorinated it using prime added the ammonia saw no rise to 3ppm so added more(9ml all together) and still it hasn't risen. If my lfs come back with same results all I can suspect is that the jeyes kleen off ammonia is weak maybe??

Yup, added the water and the dose of Prime, waited 24 hours, started adding ammonia according to the cycling article.

I'm not 100% certain the same Prime exists in Australia and the UK, but I would hope so otherwise any advice I give is useless.

Best of luck.

Most reactions

Back