Sensesfailsfish

I am quite lucky that by June I will have either 6 or 7 tanks on the go!! :hyper: Ranging from a small fighter set-up to a Vision 260. All keepijng tropicals and the three bigger ones,(2 footer, 3 footer and the Vision) all will be South American styles, concentrating on specific river habitats. I can't wait!! The malawis will have to wait until I get a fish room in the garage at the next house I will buy in 2015!

New Cuckoo Catfish

Petricola

Attachments

• Cuckoo.jpg
    Cuckoo.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 75
  • SynoNEW.jpg
    SynoNEW.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 75
Pic 1: Cuckoo Squeaker/Syno (Synodontis multipunctatus)

Pic 2: Even-Spotted Squeaker/Syno (Synodontis petricola)

Gorgeous!! :wub: :wub:

Can I just ask.....the black synodontis....is that the multipunctatus?
I`m currently waiting for petricola and multipunctatus to come into my local MA and am looking at adding 2 or 3 syno`s to my Tang setup. Not 100% sure whether the petricola or multi, I love the black ones (Cuckoo?) but feel the petricola would be less harsh on the breeding pair of cudopunctatus and fry :/

nice set-up and and nice fish.

wish I had the space for a malawi tank like that.

Gorgeous!! :wub: :wub:

Can I just ask.....the black synodontis....is that the multipunctatus?
I`m currently waiting for petricola and multipunctatus to come into my local MA and am looking at adding 2 or 3 syno`s to my Tang setup. Not 100% sure whether the petricola or multi, I love the black ones (Cuckoo?) but feel the petricola would be less harsh on the breeding pair of cudopunctatus and fry :/

Hey the black one in the pic above is supposed to be a synodontis petricola but it could also be the Lucipinnis. The multipunctatus is the cuckoo catfish I believe which is also above having bigger markings. I have included a link below to a post I had on another forum where someone gave me two pictures one showing the true petricola and the other showing the Lucipinnis which is classed as the "dwarf petricola" which looks completely different markings wise and doesn't grow as big. I had the opportunity to buy a wild caught petricola but they would have out grew the tank and they were £30 per fish. So I went with the LFS option which were £10 each but were very small and being tank bred won't grow as big! I like both the petriola and "dwarf petricola" but the cuckoos are lush to having the bigger markings but I believe they grow bigger at around 17cm max whereas the petricolas will be around 10-12 so iv been told.

I hope you can view the site without signing up because the two pictures show both catfish nicely! Some of the predispose I have look like the petricola whereas I have 1 which looks like the dwarf :-s at first I thought a petricola was a petricola until someone brought it to my attention on this site. When's your LFS getting them in? They are brilliant characters always out and about swimming with each other hunting for food. They seem more settled in a group of 6 whereas before when I had 3 petricolas I didn't see them as much as I do now with the cuckoos in their 2 :) let me know if the link works :)

Check this out

nice set-up and and nice fish.

wish I had the space for a malawi tank like that.

Cheers :) first ever tank so I'm pleased with it but I love looking at other peoples trying to get ideas for when I can eventually have a bigger tank :) sandly not for some time yet but I may try and invest in a small one for the kitchen. And the big one will have to wait until I move which won't be for sometime :-(

When I see other peoples I'm like hmm tempted to change but this is the second design I currently have and its not cheap to change all of the time. Live plants will be my next thing to learn :)

Hey the black one in the pic above is supposed to be a synodontis petricola but it could also be the Lucipinnis. The multipunctatus is the cuckoo catfish I believe which is also above having bigger markings. I have included a link below to a post I had on another forum where someone gave me two pictures one showing the true petricola and the other showing the Lucipinnis which is classed as the "dwarf petricola" which looks completely different markings wise and doesn't grow as big. I had the opportunity to buy a wild caught petricola but they would have out grew the tank and they were £30 per fish. So I went with the LFS option which were £10 each but were very small and being tank bred won't grow as big! I like both the petriola and "dwarf petricola" but the cuckoos are lush to having the bigger markings but I believe they grow bigger at around 17cm max whereas the petricolas will be around 10-12 so iv been told.

I hope you can view the site without signing up because the two pictures show both catfish nicely! Some of the predispose I have look like the petricola whereas I have 1 which looks like the dwarf :-s at first I thought a petricola was a petricola until someone brought it to my attention on this site. When's your LFS getting them in? They are brilliant characters always out and about swimming with each other hunting for food. They seem more settled in a group of 6 whereas before when I had 3 petricolas I didn't see them as much as I do now with the cuckoos in their 2 :) let me know if the link works :)

Check this out

Thanks for that, great info! I was trying to find the info that shows the difference between the petricola and lucipinnis as I was more intent on getting the lucipinnis due to the dwarf size :good: :good:

Didn`t have to register as I`m already a member on Mikes Rifts anyway ;) :lol:

James (24T) gave me the same info in relation to the lucipinnis being standard in lfs but they can be mis-labelled as petricola, MA have told me that they`re getting petricola but at least now I`ll be able to check.....£15-20 won`t seem a bad price IF they turn out to be petricola instead :hey:

I spoke to one of the girls at MA today and have asked them to reserve any of the black ones that come in, their delivery should hopefully be there in the next week or so ......fingers crossed :unsure:

As I already have 5 species in my Tang tank I think the syno`s will have to be the last additions :X

Check this out

Thanks for that, great info! I was trying to find the info that shows the difference between the petricola and lucipinnis as I was more intent on getting the lucipinnis due to the dwarf size :good: :good:

Didn`t have to register as I`m already a member on Mikes Rifts anyway ;) :lol:

James (24T) gave me the same info in relation to the lucipinnis being standard in lfs but they can be mis-labelled as petricola, MA have told me that they`re getting petricola but at least now I`ll be able to check.....£15-20 won`t seem a bad price IF they turn out to be petricola instead :hey:

I spoke to one of the girls at MA today and have asked them to reserve any of the black ones that come in, their delivery should hopefully be there in the next week or so ......fingers crossed :unsure:

As I already have 5 species in my Tang tank I think the syno`s will have to be the last additions :X

The picture with 2 in its the camera that has made the 2nd catfish black with him/her being in the shadows. They are sort of a greyish colour with the black dots. I wouldn't rule out the cukoos they look fantastic with the bigger spots. Its exciting times getting new fish its a shame when it has to end i have room for 2 more i reckon and thats me done :-( but i am looking forward to watching the fish grow in particular the cats really excited for that! Cant wait :)

Im really glad the LFS pointed out the cukoos when i went to get another 3 petricolas and then i decided to go with 3 of those for abit of variety. Mike over on rift valley cichlids is selling both versions of the petricola both wild caught for the petricola and tank bread for the dwarf.

Will you go for the dwarf or the petricolas or you going with what the LFS gets. If its the true petricola £10-£20 is briiliant if its the dwarf i think you should be looking in the region of around £10 each :) I think my cuckoos cost me £8 each.

The picture with 2 in its the camera that has made the 2nd catfish black with him/her being in the shadows. They are sort of a greyish colour with the black dots. I wouldn't rule out the cukoos they look fantastic with the bigger spots. Its exciting times getting new fish its a shame when it has to end i have room for 2 more i reckon and thats me done :-( but i am looking forward to watching the fish grow in particular the cats really excited for that! Cant wait :)

Im really glad the LFS pointed out the cukoos when i went to get another 3 petricolas and then i decided to go with 3 of those for abit of variety. Mike over on rift valley cichlids is selling both versions of the petricola both wild caught for the petricola and tank bread for the dwarf.

Will you go for the dwarf or the petricolas or you going with what the LFS gets. If its the true petricola £10-£20 is briiliant if its the dwarf i think you should be looking in the region of around £10 each :) I think my cuckoos cost me £8 each.

My first choice is the lucipinnis as I`d rather have the dwarf sized syno, then the petricola IF I can`t get the lucipinnis, lastly would be the cuckoo because I think they would be too harsh around the breeding pair of caudopunctatus I have in the tank.
I`ve asked at MA for them to reserve me only one of the cuckoo if they have any black ones or 3 petricola/lucipinnis if they have any black ones of them.....they do have some black and white synos in their big display tank so I really don`t know which is which and what`s definately coming in the delivery.
I`ve been quoted between £15-20 for the 'petricola', I won`t know whether they`re petricola or lucipinnis until I get to actually see them though, so I will have to play it by ear on the price until I know for certain and can sort it there and then....if that makes sense? :unsure:

My first choice is the lucipinnis as I`d rather have the dwarf sized syno, then the petricola IF I can`t get the lucipinnis, lastly would be the cuckoo because I think they would be too harsh around the breeding pair of caudopunctatus I have in the tank.
I`ve asked at MA for them to reserve me only one of the cuckoo if they have any black ones or 3 petricola/lucipinnis if they have any black ones of them.....they do have some black and white synos in their big display tank so I really don`t know which is which and what`s definately coming in the delivery.
I`ve been quoted between £15-20 for the 'petricola', I won`t know whether they`re petricola or lucipinnis until I get to actually see them though, so I will have to play it by ear on the price until I know for certain and can sort it there and then....if that makes sense? :unsure:

Yer its a case of seeing what they have and going from there. Least you could maybe have more of the dwarf as apposed to the petricola but it will all be decided on what they get in, exciting times. Are you hoping for tiny ones or ones with abit of size? I was hoping for reasonable sized ones but the LFS said thats all they could get a hold of, and then i thought well ill get the benefit of watching them grow but the only problem then is, its hard to distinguish between the dwarf petricola and the real deal. Been to 3 LFS with petricolas in but they were all tiny! Dont know if its that time and all but seems to be hard to get hold of bigger ones.

You will have to put some pics up when you get them :-

I decided on the lucipinnis and ordered 5 of them from Mikes Rifts on Tuesday, they were delivered this morning. They`re about 2" (ish) in size, a really lovely cream colour, not the normal light tan I`ve seen before and they`re great. I`m absolutely chuffed to bits with them! :wub: :wub:

Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSLdSx9dJZ4

I decided on the lucipinnis and ordered 5 of them from Mikes Rifts on Tuesday, they were delivered this morning. They`re about 2" (ish) in size, a really lovely cream colour, not the normal light tan I`ve seen before and they`re great. I`m absolutely chuffed to bits with them! :wub: :wub:

Love them i can see why you happy with them :good:

Most reactions

Back