Seneye Aquarium Monitoring

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

BiggTexx

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Anyone ever heard of or had experience with the Seneye Aquarium Monitoring System?  Seems like it would be a nice to have system, if it actually works...

No aquarium or pond however mature can be guaranteed as stable and never to crash. Changes in water parameters are bad and can affect aquarists from novice to professional. A range of things from poor aquarium husbandry to equipment failure can cause swings in water parameters that harm your fish. A seneye constantly watches for these dangerous changes which are undetectable to the human eye. Seneye monitors parameters which are key to the survival of aquatic life and likely to change very fast when something does go wrong.

The seneye device is revolutionising keeping fish by allowing dramatically reduced fish death. The seneye allows fish keepers to truly understand what happens inside their aquarium or pond by monitoring the harmful parameters which aren’t detectable to the human eye. A seneye device dramatically improves the frequency, accuracy, sensitivity, and robustness of water sensing to ensure that aquatic life does not just survive, but thrive!

A revolution in aquatic water monitoring, the seneye cloud seamlessly allows you to view the results from your seneye device on any internet enabled product. Your readings can be automatically uploaded using a variety of connection and then viewed where ever you are. Easily view all your readings online from any location and instantly see if they are OK. Simply log on to your personalised online dashboard to see graphs of your readings as well as predictions on if there is going to be a problem in the future.

Seneye Home Dashboard Demo

Seneye Reef Demo

Seneye Systems.png
Seneye Key.png

Seneye Home (starting at $139)
Seneye Home.png

I heard its a nice kit for the lazy rich folk only joking!
It very good to begin with, but the probes (cost a bit more) used to monitor apprently get conatinated quite quickly not surprising really most TDS and PH pens need calibrating all the time due to calcium and other TDS soluble particals in the water.
Someone recently discovered the senseye was reading the Ammonia very low and the Api kit showed a much higher reading, "take it as a pinch of salt"
It was the tinternet off another forum I had read this so it might be very good if you are into tracking data and progression I think it even sends messages to your phone if a spike happens?

Yea, shows to have full dashboard capabilities, alerts to phone or email, etc.

I am seriously thinking of trying one out (not in place of normal testing).

Yea, I did some research on it. Basically the slides average $11/month.  Total operating costs for the first year would be around $280, then roughly $130 year.

Well across the pond it does not seem to bad.
Iif you do purchase the kit, please do a review and keep me updated on the data you collected as I would be interested to see the accuracy of the kit!
Jay

Because of my fairly recent trip into the saltwater side of this hobby or as others call it the dark side lol I have seen a lot of these tank monitoring systems for reef tanks and all types of salwater tanks.
And from what I've read and seen they are great if you have the time to keep them working right.
And it really got me thinking about why I'd never seen a freshwater tank monitor.
Simple answer for me up until this point was people that keep reefs are slightly crazy and will spend a lot of money on fancy stuff I know because I do lol.
Anyways I really don't have any advice on this product but I'd love to read an actual competent review from someone that has experience using both normal testing methods and comparing it to the tank monitors readings and performance.
So as goldfinger said if you do get this I'd love to see a thread about it :)

This, or something similar was offered free with a 6 month subscription to Practical fishkeeping in October I think. I was tempted till I found out I had to buy stuff every month to run it.

I would not use one if they gave it to me free and all I had to pay was the annual costs- whatever they are.

I so not see the need in an established tank for most of what they measure. I have no ammonia, I have no nitrite and I never test for nitrate. My pH is stable. I do not need a light Meter for any reason despite having planted tanks.

I do have a continuous monitor for Temp./pH/conductivity-TDS. The annual operating cost for this is about $10-$15 a year for pH calibration solutions.  This cost me about $260 including the cleaning kit for the TDS probe plus calibration solutions and delivery. Cleaning the pH probe can be done with a toothbrush and sometimes a bit of soapy water.
15942_3543.jpg

https://www.bluelab.com/products/type/monitors/guardian-monitor.aspx

Since I use this on a tea stained tank, the turbidity part is also useless for me. But considering what it measures I see no need for it since I can tell if my water is cloudy.

Turbidity is the measure of relative clarity of a liquid. It is an optical characteristic of water and is an expression of the amount of light that is scattered by material in the water when a light is shined through the water sample. The higher the intensity of scattered light, the higher the turbidity. Material that causes water to be turbid include clay, silt, finely divided inorganic and organic matter, algae, soluble colored organic compounds, and plankton and other microscopic organisms.
from http://water.usgs.gov/edu/turbidity.html

I have TDS/Temp "pen" that cost me About $20.
0001.jpg

TwoTankAmin said:
I would not use one if they gave it to me free and all I had to pay was the annual costs- whatever they are.

To be fair, the extra costs are only for the features I want to make it useful for me (i.e. the annual cost after initial purchase).

TwoTankAmin said:
I so not see the need in an established tank for most of what they measure. I have no ammonia, I have no nitrite and I never test for nitrate. My pH is stable.

I think this where the individual mindset comes into play.  From my perspective I cannot say that "I have no ammonia" without specifically testing for it. Whether or not any of the methods are 100% accurate is yet to be seen, but does give me satisfaction that I am doing my best to maintain the parameters.

I may be anal when it comes to testing my water parameters but that comes from a force of habit as well as the fear that I may do something (or not know of something) that will affect my parameters, and ultimately my stock.

In my own defense, I blame my quality oriented background and licenses in both water and wastewater treatment which has been ingrained in my routine. Again, I cannot say that "I have no ammonia" without specifically testing for it.

A a fun fact, I have used Lab equipment in the past to test my water parameters.  We had a travel spectrophotometer that was calibrated weekly and was able to test a variety of things, including Alkalinity, Total Ammonia, Free and Total Chlorine, Nitrite and Nitrate, all the way down to Iron, Lead and Dissolved Oxygen. While I trusted that equipment more than the readily available test kits, the results were often not very far off from what the kit I was using at the time displayed.  There were a few discrepancies, don;t get me wrong, but for the most part they were steady with each other, given a tolerance.

To make a long story short, if I was able to find a product that was able to monitor these conditions for me (again, since I already do it anyways) and it is a) reliable; b) as accurate as my current testing method; and c) something I can afford, then I think the added features (automated, dashboard, graphing, forecasting) are well worth the money.

One thing to note apprently not just seneye have an issue, but the lower KH reading you have, the more likely the results will be not as accurate, something to do with the TDS in the water. But in an marine tank your KH would be avarage of around 7 right?
The KH of less than 4.5KH seems to affect all the probs as it has nothing to sense or calibrate with?
Tit bit due to some bored reading I'm afraid.

Well I guess after a certain number of years and tanks I can pretty much tell when something is not right in a tank. I can tell you there have been times when I have a single tank which held many $1,000s of dollars worth of fish. I never test such tanks unless I am doing dry and rainy seasons on them and then I have to test to make these work.

Most of my test kits tend to expire unused and get thrown out and replaced. The last time I used an ammonia test was about 2+ years ago when I put a load of wild acid water fish into and uncycled tank at pH 4.2.

If having this device makes you feel safer and more at ease, then go for it.

But then let me ask you this. If you have five tanks will you buy this device for each one? And then knowing how much the lab grade testers you used cost and knowing what this device costs, how accurate and reliable would you expect the Seneye to be?

And my digital meter reads just fine even in pure RO/DI. I premix changing water and start with 10 gals RO/DI and then I drop in the probes for my Guardian and the numbers go to 0 for TDS and well under 7 for the pH. This water has almost 0 TDS which means 0 GH and O KH. Neither causes a problem with the monitor readings.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back