Seeking suggestions for a colorful tank mate(s)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Dull and boring? Add a Redtailed Shark mine keeps us entertained and never seems to be boring. However I do worry at times that he/she might be getting a bit too boisterous at times.

Joking aside you got a beautiful looking tank there, fake or not it looks the business.

My tank also has no live plants as I feel I don't have the time for the real ones. But mine REALY does look fake, I want your plants you got a great look there hehehe.

Did you get your silks online? If you got a link to what you have I would be interested :)

Dull and boring? Add a Redtailed Shark mine keeps us entertained and never seems to be boring. However I do worry at times that he/she might be getting a bit too boisterous at times.

Joking aside you got a beautiful looking tank there, fake or not it looks the business.

My tank also has no live plants as I feel I don't have the time for the real ones. But mine REALY does look fake, I want your plants you got a great look there hehehe.

Did you get your silks online? If you got a link to what you have I would be interested :)

Very nice of you to take you time out to give some encouraging feedback. I have to admit it was a challenge to find silk plants that didn't look fake. I made a few purchases that ended up in my quarantine tank but in the end I only used three in the big tank.

The small ones: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B093HFTB1S/?tag=ff0d01-20
The big ones in the back: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002AR63M/?tag=ff0d01-20
Medium size which are out for cleaning: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002ASDIY/?tag=ff0d01-20

The Exo Terra (big ones) come in like two more varieties with a different leaf shape. The have a suction cup at the top on an adjustable rod so you can pivot them and swivel back and forth.

Here are a few others that I liked but aren't in the primary tank:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KQ4LVI/?tag=ff0d01-20
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074LPTXJZ/?tag=ff0d01-20

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Some diamond tetras would really show out in that tank. Or you could add a pair of platinum angelfish if you wanted something larger.
I never considered either fish so thank you very much for giving me some more to think about. Most appreciated sir.

I don't know how any of us can be suggesting suitable fish when we do not know the water parameters. What is the GH and pH of your tap water?

Another issue is the light, which is high in the blue and red. This obviously affects the colours in the tank, which are not a true rendition. That's not a problem when you don't have live plants, but it does obviously "colour" fish and objects in the tank differently from what they actually are in white daylight.

Ther are very serious issues with some of the fish being suggested, and this will become relevant in time if thse are under consideration.

Have you considered Rainbowfish? Australians are often iridescent and/or multicolored. Turquoises are pretty, and Boesemani's are usually yellow and blue. They can get up to 3-6 inches but are usually able to live peacefully with the fish you already have. Always do your own research, obviously, but they are one that I would put with those fish if they were mine! And your tank is STUNNING!

I don't know how any of us can be suggesting suitable fish when we do not know the water parameters. What is the GH and pH of your tap water?

Another issue is the light, which is high in the blue and red. This obviously affects the colours in the tank, which are not a true rendition. That's not a problem when you don't have live plants, but it does obviously "colour" fish and objects in the tank differently from what they actually are in white daylight.

Ther are very serious issues with some of the fish being suggested, and this will become relevant in time if thse are under consideration.
I bet you won't park in a space at the fish store until it's been proven to you that the asphalt is algae free and that the white paint used for the lines has been properly tuned to work with the average daily rainfall in the target climate zone.

Fun... suggestions. Fun.

I didn't ask you to put your name on a contract stating your suggestion was bulletproof. Everyone else seems to get the idea just fine. If you want to be pedantic that's your choice but the scolding is a little much.

Have you considered Rainbowfish? Australians are often iridescent and/or multicolored. Turquoises are pretty, and Boesemani's are usually yellow and blue. They can get up to 3-6 inches but are usually able to live peacefully with the fish you already have. Always do your own research, obviously, but they are one that I would put with those fish if they were mine! And your tank is STUNNING!
I've only ever glanced at the rainbowfish and you sure were right. Gorgeous! I'm looking at a few now and the yellow of the Boeseman's would definitely stand out. I see a "dwarf neon rainbowfish" that is a shimmery blue. Orange (parkinson's) rainbowfish also has some really great color. One that really grabbed my eye though is the threadfin rainbowfish. Elegant and beautiful. NoodleOfDanger0 thank you very much for the wonderful suggestion. Even more so for your kind comments about my tank which are certainly more than I deserve. Cheers!

I don’t know a lot about fish but kribensis are pretty:)
Pretty! There is a nice article about them on The Spruce that I'm reading now. That's a fish which is so good looking you (me) don't mind shifting things around a bit to make it work. I've never even heard of that fish so you've done me a true service WetPetMum. Thank you very much!

Pretty! There is a nice article about them on The Spruce that I'm reading now. That's a fish which is so good looking you (me) don't mind shifting things around a bit to make it work. I've never even heard of that fish so you've done me a true service WetPetMum. Thank you very much!
I’d love one but only have a small tank, think you have a lot of reading to do:)

I bet you won't park in a space at the fish store until it's been proven to you that the asphalt is algae free and that the white paint used for the lines has been properly tuned to work with the average daily rainfall in the target climate zone.

Fun... suggestions. Fun.

I didn't ask you to put your name on a contract stating your suggestion was bulletproof. Everyone else seems to get the idea just fine. If you want to be pedantic that's your choice but the scolding is a little much.

I've no idea whatever as to what's behind this. You asked for suggestions and I made a couple, though questions more than suggestions since the data needed was not given. Most of us who care about the well-being of the fish recognize the value of this data. Have a nice day.

Fun... suggestions. Fun.

Read what byron wrote and what you wrote. Your response is a little extreme. Byron's post is fully fact. It is impossible to suggest suitable fish without knowing your parameters. That's not opinion, that is a fact.

Byron is only trying to help.

Sure, people could suggest fish but those suggestions on worthless without knowing what we are working with.

I think that you owe byron an apology.

Do you even know your parameters?

I've no idea whatever as to what's behind this. You asked for suggestions and I made a couple, though questions more than suggestions since the data needed was not given. Most of us who care about the well-being of the fish recognize the value of this data. Have a nice day
I've no idea whatever as to what's behind this. You asked for suggestions and I made a couple, though questions more than suggestions since the data needed was not given. Most of us who care about the well-being of the fish recognize the value of this data. Have a nice day.

Read what byron wrote and what you wrote. Your response is a little extreme. Byron's post is fully fact. It is impossible to suggest suitable fish without knowing your parameters. That's not opinion, that is a fact.

Byron is only trying to help.

Sure, people could suggest fish but those suggestions on worthless without knowing what we are working with.

I think that you owe byron an apology.

Do you even know your parameters?

Good, you apologize to him. What did I ask for? Colorful fish. What did I get? A lecture about how I don't know what I'm doing, can't be relied to analyze fish and tank parameters and an overall message of "this is a bad post". Perhaps you and he both can apologize to me for messing up my thread for no good reason other than to be superior. Peace.

Good, you apologize to him. What did I ask for? Colorful fish. What did I get? A lecture about how I don't know what I'm doing, can't be relied to analyze fish and tank parameters and an overall message of "this is a bad post". Perhaps you and he both can apologize to me for messing up my thread for no good reason other than to be superior. Peace.
Try to understand. Nobody is condemning you or your post. We are simply asking for more information. I could suggest chili rasbora but they would die in high ph water. I could suggest cichlids, but they would die in acidic water. Does that make sense?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back