Seeking advice on new filter

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Lindat

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
  1. I have just bought a 300 litre tank that I'm intending to stock with Discus, Rummy nose tetra and a couple of Apistogramma cacacatuoids (Thanks to the advice of Byron and Colin). The tank has a built-in 1800l/h filter that runs along the top of the tank. The only media it has is one layer of sponge. There's no room for any other media. (Reviewers have said the filter is poor). I also have an external filter 1400 l/h that has an additional canister filter booster. The external has course and fine foam, ceramic rings, bio balls and activated carbon. Would I be better off using the external filter? Could I use both the built in filter and the external at the same time or would it be over filtered?
    Thanks in anticipation.

You can use both filters, however I have never liked filters that sit in the hood above the tank. They are cheap and poorly made/ designed. And I never liked the idea of having water next to light units.

A good quality external canister filter is a better option and will give you more filtration area and probably a more reliable filter.

Not sure if I'm posting in the correct way. Please advise if I'm not...
You can use both filters, however I have never liked filters that sit in the hood above the tank. They are cheap and poorly made/ designed. And I never liked the idea of having water next to light units.

A good quality external canister filter is a better option and will give you more filtration area and probably a more reliable filter.
Thanks Colin T. That's a really good point you've made about water and electrics. I bought the tank because of the look and design of the glass. Think I'll go with just the external. Will that be sufficient on its own?

Thanks Colin T. That's a really good point you've made about water and electrics. I bought the tank because of the look and design of the glass. Think I'll go with just the external. Will that be sufficient on its own?
Forgot to say the external filter says it's for up to 400litre. I'm aware that water needs to be pristine for discus.

I agree with Colin that an external canister filter [I would add, rated for this size of tank but no more] is adequate. There is no advantage to so-called "over-filtration" which does not exist. A filter can only do so much and this depends upon the biology of the aquarium; adding more filters or larger filters beyond one filter rated for the system is pointless because it provides no benefit. It might however provide detriment in the form of too much water circulation. This can harm the fish (depending upon species and their requirements for flow/current) and it can cause the filter to not provide adequate filtration if the water is being pushed through faster than it can be processed.

I agree with Colin that an external canister filter [I would add, rated for this size of tank but no more] is adequate. There is no advantage to so-called "over-filtration" which does not exist. A filter can only do so much and this depends upon the biology of the aquarium; adding more filters or larger filters beyond one filter rated for the system is pointless because it provides no benefit. It might however provide detriment in the form of too much water circulation. This can harm the fish (depending upon species and their requirements for flow/current) and it can cause the filter to not provide adequate filtration if the water is being pushed through faster than it can be processed.
Thanks for the info Byron. You confirmed what I was concerned about too much water flow for the fish.

I'll just add that filters don't clean water, they merely make it look clearer. Most filters are nitrate factories as detritus decomposes and pollutes the water. Especially for Discus, you need to service the filter often to get the crud out of the system AND do sufficient volume/frequency water changes to keep the water quality high.

EDIT: AND if you're going to use gravel (I prefer sand) you'll need to gravel vacuum routinely to get uneaten food and detritus out.

Last edited:
I'll just add that filters don't clean water, they merely make it look clearer. Most filters are nitrate factories as detritus decomposes and pollutes the water. Especially for Discus, you need to service the filter often to get the crud out of the system AND do sufficient volume/frequency water changes to keep the water quality high.

EDIT: AND if you're going to use gravel (I prefer sand) you'll need to gravel vacuum routinely to get uneaten food and detritus out.
Hiya Abbey's Dad.
Thanks for the advice. I already vacuum the gravel and do weekly part water changes in my community tank. I'm really looking forward to having Discus. Guess the bottom line is keep on top of tank maintenance and no putting off til tomorrow.

Hiya Abbey's Dad.
Thanks for the advice. I already vacuum the gravel and do weekly part water changes in my community tank. I'm really looking forward to having Discus. Guess the bottom line is keep on top of tank maintenance and no putting off til tomorrow.
I've heard that some that keep Discus do 50% - 80%water changes every other day!

You can do a big water change every day or two if you like but they don't need it. Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate once a week and they should be fine.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back