Seafood/beefheart Mix For Discus (or Other Cichlids!)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I have no problem with making something for my fish, but I was wondering about how much of the stuff just ends up in the water. Do you think the fish get most of it?

I have no problem with making something for my fish, but I was wondering about how much of the stuff just ends up in the water. Do you think the fish get most of it?

No it stays together pretty well, very similar to feeding beef heart. When I feed it I give it to them once a day before water changes. It will create almost like dust on the bottom (just really fine food particles) but I get the same thing from feeding pellets and flake. If you are worried, knox gelatin can be used, but I would not recommend giving this food regularly unless your tank is bare bottom (as it is a little messier.)

how long do you think this would keep for? i mean, it looks like a lot, so i am guessing that it would make a lot of food...

how long do you think this would keep for? i mean, it looks like a lot, so i am guessing that it would make a lot of food...

Your right, it does make quite a bit. It should be good for 12 months. If you haven't used it by then I would consider discarding what ever is left and making a new batch. Remember, you can always cut all the ingredients in half and make a smaller batch.

I decided to make some beefheart for my new guys. Please keep your opinions to feeding beefheart to yourself. I have never fed much beefheart but I have decided I will give my new guys a little more then what I usually offer. This beefheart mix is very simple and great for growing Cichlids out (especially Discus and Angelfish.) I am going to give beefheart one out of five feedings a day. I do not recommend giving beefheart as a staple, and should be given a minimal amount once your fish are full grown.

Ingredients:
2lbs Beefheart (once cleaned will be approx. 1.5lbs)
1/3 cup green peas
2 cloves garlic
1/2 mens multivitamin
1/2 very ripe banana

Ingredients (Keep in mind my banana isn't quite ripe enough.)

Puree garlic, mash deshelled peas and grind the 1/2 multivitamin.

Clean the heart, remove the fat and veins. I also cut off quite a bit of the arteries. Discard.

Keep the meat.

Throw it all into a blender. If your blender is struggling, add some water (I also added a little bit of garlic guard.)

This should be what your finished product looks like. Keep in mind you would add the 1/2 banana (either while blending or mixing in a large bowl like cake batter.) I am refrigerating the mix for the next few days until the banana ripens even more. After this simply place in Ziploc bags, freeze and cut according to size and quantity of fish. Easy peezy!!

hah! nice one, although i wouldnt be able to to it.....but i might try it one day, how do you know what you can and cannot feed your fish?

i make my own aswell and we put in the following
mix it all together in a blender
spinach loads of,couple hand falls a whole bag
baby milk (gold)cant remmember
prawns half a cup fall appx
garlic half a clove
peas(frozen)
liver sometimes added half of a peice
this makes abt 2.5kg ish of beefheart mix
and we also put in loads of dry foods that we feed our discus
when i make some again ill list wot i used
my discus love it .....

Seems like really good definitely im gonna give a try.but u no any way to get some more red on them?

Extra shrimp cause of the Carotenes in crustaceans.

Read my reply to your other thread. If you make the mix, you can add shrimp (even if you want to half the amount of tuna and replace it with shrimp.) It also works as a good binding agent too.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back