Seachem's Purigen

Winterlily

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jun 9, 2009
Messages
355
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
NY, USA
I've just redone a 5.5 gallon tank with one male betta in it. I put a piece of wood in, which is releasing tannins. I don't love the color of the water. I think I'd like to remove the color (I think) and I keep reading about how wonderful Purigen is at that. Also, in my currently-being-set-up 55 gallon, I'm going to have a few big pieces of wood - all of which are too big to boil (no pot big enough!!), which means the water will REALLY turn color there. So I'm interested in Purigen in that tank, too. But, I understand that Purigen uses organic matter from the tank. Would this not starve the bacteria colony who themselves need the organic matter?? I do not want to have Purigen in the tank forevermore, nor do I want to go through yet another cycle when I quit using it. Through the Internet, I found a quote from Seachem that said:

"Purigen will not hinder the ability of your bacteria populations to grow. Purigen absorbs organic waste before it is converted into ammonia/nitrite/nitrate and could help to avoid spikes. To avoid spikes in ammonia/nitrite, you want to make sure you have adequate biological filtration media to support bacteria and sufficient bacteria populations for the number of fish you have. While cycling the tank it would be a good idea to feed less and check for free ammonia and/or nitrite. Most systems contain enough organic matter to provide adequate nutrients for bacteria to begin to colonize bio media. Chemical filtration such as Purigen should not keep the tank from cycling or slow the cycling process."

Okay, so I see what they're saying I THINK - that most aquariums have plenty to go around, basically. But if they're using part of it, wouldn't that make the bacteria colony smaller (they're only as big as they need to be, yes?) so that when you stop using it, they can't keep up with all the organic matter present - since they were only being asked to deal with, essentially, part of it? Thus, a mini-cycle, right?

And what of my small 5.5 gallon tank with only 1 male betta in it. Certainly isn't a lot of organic waste available there. ??

What do you think? Any opinions on this?
 
Cant help you with any answers unfortunately.
I bought some purigen for the same raeson as you, but have yet to use it. Your concerns make sense though.
Be interesting to see what others think.
 
Drop a bag of carbon in the filter or right in front of the outlet.
 
Purigen removes organics and discolourants from the water, and is second to none for long term crystal clear water. Carbon is a waste of time for removing tannins as it is quickly exhausted.

I always use Purigen, and am often removing it to be replaced with recharged Purigen with no ill effects. Personally, I love the stuff.

Dave.
 
I try to stay away from adding chemicals to my tank. I use natural carbon or just live with the color until it goes away with water changes.
 
I have to agree with what Dave has said. I used purigen for a time when I was raising discus. It is very effective and can be recharged. It's a great product.
 
I try to stay away from adding chemicals to my tank. I use natural carbon or just live with the color until it goes away with water changes.

But you are no more adding chemicals to your tank with Purigen than you are with carbon. Purigen is another level of chemical filtration, just like Zeolite or carbon.

Dave.
 
Hmm. So it sounds like a great product - lots of rave reviews all over the place for sure. But it sounds like you guys use it basically all the time. Any thoughts or opinions about my question about the bacteria colony etc? Particularly when I'm not (currently) planning to use it all the time - only for the period of time required to remove the tannins (which I realize may be ongoing for a while...).

?
 
Anyone with an opinion about short-term use of Purigen and the possible resulting starving of the bacteria colony (and so cycling again) when you quit using it??
 
Why would you starve the bacteria colony when you stop using it? :unsure:

Purigen gives crystal clear water, and that is about it. It shouldn`t have any real effect on your bacteria. I would guess that when you remove it to replace it with a recharged bag, as I have done several times, some bacteria will be taken away with the old bag. Personally, I haven`t experienced any problems.

Dave.
 
Why would you starve the bacteria colony when you stop using it?
Well, I was concerned about that because I only have the one fish in there, so not much waste is being produced, and Seachem says that Purigen uses organic matter from the tank (see their quote in my first post above) to help prevent ammonia/nitrite spikes. So, if not much organic matter is present in my tank (because of only 1 fish), and Purigen is using/removing some or all of it, the bacteria colony could potentially be starved. Not a problem while Purigen is there dealing with it, but what happens when, if, I take the Purigen OUT? Then I have no, or little, alive bacteria because their food was removed by Purigen.

Not sure if that's a problem or issue or not - that's why I asked. Just seems theoretically possible. Unlikely in a tank with many fish and lots of organic matter, as Seachem says, but in a small tank like I'm talking about with 1 fish?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top