Seachem Flourish Excel

arobinson1984

Fish Gatherer
Joined
Mar 13, 2009
Messages
2,065
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Location
Leeds, United Kingdom
I have a little bit of black brush algae in my tank which I wish to pinpoint the cause and prevent it. A while ago I had large amounts of the stuff growing all over my plants and ornaments so I cleaned the ornaments and replaced the affected plants and added a koralia 2 powerhead. Since then it has been much better but I'm still getting a small amount which I'm now guessing is due to co2 levels.

I have a jewul rio 125 with 5 live plants, 3 of which are amazon swords, other 2 I'm not sure about. I am not sure if the lighting is t5 or t8, how do I tell? The lights are 2 x 28w

Anyway after doing a bit of reading on the forum I came across a thread regarding seachem flourish excel, I want to know if this would help the plants and help prevent the algae due to it containing carbon?

Anybody had experience with this product? Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance

Andy
 
I have a little bit of black brush algae in my tank which I wish to pinpoint the cause and prevent it. A while ago I had large amounts of the stuff growing all over my plants and ornaments so I cleaned the ornaments and replaced the affected plants and added a koralia 2 powerhead. Since then it has been much better but I'm still getting a small amount which I'm now guessing is due to co2 levels.

I have a jewul rio 125 with 5 live plants, 3 of which are amazon swords, other 2 I'm not sure about. I am not sure if the lighting is t5 or t8, how do I tell? The lights are 2 x 28w

Anyway after doing a bit of reading on the forum I came across a thread regarding seachem flourish excel, I want to know if this would help the plants and help prevent the algae due to it containing carbon?

Anybody had experience with this product? Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance

Andy


For all intents and purposes algae is plant... their photosynthetic pathways are identical (just about) to that of their more differentiated cousins...
So any plant food will feed algae as well. The trick is to figure out the equation that favors the higher plants more than the algae...


Light + Micronutrients + Macronutrients + C02 =plant growth

Try cutting back on your lighting duration (photo period) or reducing the nutrient content of the water but doing more frequent water changes. Try adding some algae eaters light plecos, otos, or a ton of ghost shrimp...

But plant food will cause another bloom in your tank all if you have not altered the other conditions.
 
Yes many people see that useing excel helps keep algea down. I use it and I still have a little bit of brown algea. More water changes can help control algea. The black hair like algea is mostly because of decaying plant matter. I would do more water changes and use excel that should help.

How old is your tank?

So in short yes I use it I love it and I should have way more algea in my tank. It gets direct sun i leave the light on for 12 hours some times. It is also cycleing so i have plentty of food for it to grow. but I only have a little bit. So I say it helps.
 
My tank is about a year old and I perform a 50% water change every week. I'm currently waiting for a python to arrive from USA so I'll prob do 2 water changes a week then as it will be easier

Andy
 
My tank is about a year old and I perform a 50% water change every week. I'm currently waiting for a python to arrive from USA so I'll prob do 2 water changes a week then as it will be easier

Andy


Yeah the python makes it 10x better. I made my own and it is the best. So yeah I would do 2 water changes a week use the excel and it should help. Also manualy cleaning off the algea helps.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top