Sea Monkeys

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

BelldandyShanny

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So, I got some sea monkeys (well the kid did but I'm going to be doing all the work)  and I'd like them to last a good long while, I intend on letting them be in my three gallon tank.  Has anyone ever tried just keeping them  as pets (with occasional fish snacks) I'll be adding the eggs to the tiny cup tomorrow, and plan on moving them after they hatch.

Things I have:

3 gallon tank
salt
water purifier
air stone
small heater
even a sponge filter I can move over if needed (incidently the air line that usually goes to it will be used for the monkey tank will my filter be fine without the air flow just sitting in the tank?  it's one of two so there will still be one running)
food packet

what else will I need?

I haven't had sea monkeys in a LONG time, and haven't tried hatching for food either, so it's a re learning experience.

Thanks for any info!

I understand the lifespan isn't terribly long, but I'm hoping they will breed if left to do as they please.  At least for a while.

Partly that's a matter of feeding them. They consume algae as nauplii and adults are filter feeders only discriminating by particle size. 

Raising them to adults is fairly easy but getting them to breed and start the cycle over is another matter. 

http://www.fao.org/fishery/culturedspecies/Artemia_spp/en

There's a good article in Advanced Aqurist that reads in part:

Once a sizable population of nauplii is generated, it is often difficult to balance the need to feed the culture, and the resulting decrease in water quality from the pollution that feeding causes, especially when non-living feeds are used. Performing a 50% water change weekly will help overcome this problem. Additionally, siphoning and cleaning the bottom of the culture vessel every few days will remove accumulated detritus and prevent further water quality issues. If the goal is to have long-term culture then one should consider adding a small sponge filter or other nitrifying filter to the culture. (http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/12/breeder)
The entire article is worth a read. Since most of us use artemia as food rather than pets most of the information you find is on hatching them and raising them rather than continuing the culture. 

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back