Sea-monkeys

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

EasterIslandMan

Reaction score
Hey does anyone on here own sea monkeys?

I just got some I read the little book it comes with four times and I don't see some instructions in there.

like how often to feed them.

and how do you get more food for them? (it comes with a tiny packet of food)

if anyone knows anything

or tips

please help!

thank you!

I thought Sea Monkeys were the american name for Brine Shrimp

Sea monkeys are nothing but Brine shrimp.

Fill the tank with bottled spring water and add the 'water conditioner' on day one which is basically the salt and some eggs.

Then 24 hours later you add the second package 'instant life' i think it's called. This packet is basically more eggs and blue dye, it also contains food (yeast).
The dye makes the brine shrimp that hatched from the water conditioner more visible, and the instructions tell you to look for them only after adding the second packet. This gives the brine shrimp the appearance of hatching instantly :good: .

After you have added packet no.2, wait 5 days before feeding. When you feed them, at fist feed half of the small scoop of the sea-monkey food every two days, if the food is still there after 2 days, wait until it disappears until feeding again. As they grow and breed, you will notice the food being eaten faster, in which case you can start feeding more regularly or adding bigger scoops.

It's good to position the tank so it gets some sunlight, this way algae will grow in the tank which they will consume.
If you run out of sea monkey food, you can use dried yeast ground down to a powder or spirulina powder (the food packet is a mixture of these two things).

That's basically all you need to know for raising sea-monkeys :good: .

This is an old ad from a comic book from when I was a little tike. "So eager to please, they can even be trained". It makes me laugh now.

I wanted them so bad - I had no idea what they really were. :rofl:

sea_monkeys.jpg

As much as I hate the way the 'sea-monkeys' are marketed, I still like them XD.

For me it's a simple matter of the sea-monkey kits being the easiest and most fool proof way to hatch out Artemia in such a small 'tank' (less than 400ml).

Sea-monkeys are also a very cheap way to buy Artemia salina cysts (albeit in a very small quantity), since a lot of the brine shrimp you can buy elsewhere are actually Artemia franciscana, despite being sold as A.salina - and there is no way to tell until you have hatched them out.

Like Triops and other branchiopods, I find 'sea-monkeys' fascinating to raise. I just wish they were marketed for the amazing animals that they still are, rather than magic in a little sachet -_- .

Yeah...those sites really don't like it when you talk about what sea-monkeys really are though...and I've heard of someone being banned from a sea-monkey forum like those because he kept ruining the illusion (I think they called it trolling lol).
They are more for people interested in collecting sea-monkey things or reliving childhood experiences.
If it's the biology your interested in, or raising Artemia without paying inflated prices for what's basically marked as magic dust in various sachets, those crazy websites really aren't for you :rolleyes: .

lol thanks guys....

actually my sister's boyfriend is a nerd and he was talking about them
and I was like "hmmm...I've never had sea-monkeys" so I decided to buy some.

I don't understand the training thing tho????

This is an old ad from a comic book from when I was a little tike. "So eager to please, they can even be trained". It makes me laugh now.

I wanted them so bad - I had no idea what they really were. :rofl:

sea_monkeys.jpg

If you look in the left corner of the ad you can see the words "Caricatures not intended to depict Artemia salina" :lol:

How would you go about training brine shrimp??? :lol:

How would you go about training brine shrimp??? :lol:

They are very difficult to train, they seem to be slow learners. I have been trying to train them almost daily for years. I never can teach them to swim away from the mouth of a fish.

haha i used to be obsessed about getting these when i was younger, what a load of crap! There is a hillarious episode of south park where cartman has a civilisation of "sea-monkeys" which develop a civilisation into the future :rofl:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back