Corydoras (Osteogaster) venezuelanus question

GaryE3 1

Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
2x Fish of the Month 🌟
Joined
Oct 14, 2011
Messages
11,311
Reaction score
20,631
Points
113
Location
Eastern Canada
So, does anyone know whether this fish is Osteogaster venezuelanus, or an aenea (ex Corydoras aeneus)? I see some confusion about it.

I got mine from a local breeder, and quite like this little fish. They were tiny when I got them, but they are growing very steadily.

venez2.webp
venez1.webp
 
Tough to tell sometimes, however, given the dark blotch shows a more distinct splotch rather than a more uniform lateral spot, I'd say these are Venezuelanus.

I've got hybrid aenea x schultzei and they can look very much like Venezuelanus. Go figure. I know for a fact they're hybrids however, as they're descended from my old schultzei... I sold them to someone locally who bred them with their aenea and turned around and sold those babies. A friend bought them and then they themselves bred on their own so he gave me some 🤣

Here's one of the hybrids. Notice how similar to your fish... but look at the shape of the black splotch. Its very similar to yours, however lacks the stronger definition of the front half of it, doesn't dip much below the lateral line like it does in Venezuelanus.
20250223_162909.webp



She's passed away a couple months, but here is a full aenea (farm bred).
20250202_165709.webp
 

Most reactions

Back
Top