Scuds

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

glassfrog

Reaction score
Anybody ever keep Scuds and were they more trouble than they were worth. Thought about collecting some while the water was cold

I've collected them from time to time. If you feed them, they do ok. I've never had reproduction or even kept them for very long, mostly because I have lost interest after a while.

I am wondering about scuds in a pea puffer diet. More specifically Gammarus Pulex. Anyone has experience with them and is there anything I need to look out for? Can they be grown in the same tank as the pea puffer?
Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
I have yet to culture scuds, although they're somewhere on my 'to do' list. I do culture Red Russian daphnia and I understand that they do well culturing together. Scuds eat decaying vegetation and I understand they will also eat plants so you wouldn't want too many loose in a planted tank with fish that don't care to eat them. Otherwise, they're considered a good live food for many fish.

I have yet to culture scuds, although they're somewhere on my 'to do' list. I do culture Red Russian daphnia and I understand that they do well culturing together. Scuds eat decaying vegetation and I understand they will also eat plants so you wouldn't want too many loose in a planted tank with fish that don't care to eat them. Otherwise, they're considered a good live food for many fish.
Thank you! I will not put them in the tank then since it is heavily planted.

Thank you! I will not put them in the tank then since it is heavily planted.
Depending on the fish you have, scuds may be consumed very quickly. For instance, when I feed white worms, they are usually gone in the feeding frenzy before any sink to the substrate!!!

Just Miss Ethel (pea puffer). I will need to see if she goes for one before it disappears. She can be fastidiously French sometimes! ?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back