Scribbled Plec

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

ladynaoko

Fishaholic
Reaction score
my tank has been happily cycling for around 2 weeks now and I'm wondering...if my water test tonight comes out ok (because only now my dad has let me GET a kit) and I put one lonely lil fish (like a zebra danio since they're hardy) and it survives the next week would it be alright to put in my reserved Scribbled Plec in say..8 days time?

I'm asking this because my brother reserved the plec for me and the lfs will only hold it till next saturday at the latest.

I am a n00b as such so you should prob get advice from others but I was told I needed to wait at least a month after I had cycled with fish before adding plecos and if possible longer untill you have a nice mature tank.

I waited untill I saw algae forming and I knew my water was very stable by that point. Also don't the Scribbled plecos grow quite big? I thought you need like a 30Gal tank for one.

But like I say you prob shouldn't listen to me :D

scribbled plecs only grow between 4.5" and 6" inches from what I've read.

The guy at the lfs shop said it should be fine...and since the guy's the only fs person I've met who'll tell you like it is I believe him. I just wanna make sure though ^^

The scribled Plec also known as a king tiger or L066 only reach a max size of 6 inches. They need soft slightly acidic water conditions. I would advise you to wait a while before purchasing one because most local water conditions do not suite L066 so the water should be softened using bogwood etc, if your tank results state a PH7 Ammonia 0 etc for this week and in 8 days time then you will be alright. :)

Good Luck

thanks for the advice :)

Most of my tank decoration is actually bogwood so that should be helping to soften the water :)

well...my water was PERFECT this morning, so I got him...and ended up getting a load of other fish as well :lol:

no more fish for a week or two methinks.

I wouldn't add too many fish at the same time otherwise it will cycle the tank again because of all the ammonia. I would get your test kit out and start checking and you may have to do a water change everyday for the next few days. Never buy fish in bulk :no:

Perky said:
I wouldn't add too many fish at the same time otherwise it will cycle the tank again because of all the ammonia. I would get your test kit out and start checking and you may have to do a water change everyday for the next few days. Never buy fish in bulk :no:
The 10 in her signature have been added today.

:eek:

I said in the other thread (forgot to in this one) that I'm going to be doing loads of water changes.
I never intended to get that many fish...it just kinda happened.

I had to get my plec though because AFTER I got the other fish (which my LFS insured me were ok to get) I was told that I had to get my plec today or they'd sell it.

It is 11 actually Ms.Cheese. Keep an eye on your tank parameters

(just so you know I'm copying & pasting this to the other thread where I talk about my fish)

after much talking last night with my neighbour he's leant me his established 15 galloon which he uses for "storage" - usually of 7-12 fish at a time.

My platies and plec are living in there for the next two weeks. (adding the platies next week and the plec the week after if all goes well)

Most reactions

Back