Scottish Fish Store Directory

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Today I M&R dog Fish after work.

M&R Dog Fish
466 Paisley Road West

VARIETY OF STOCK 7

Fish
Seemed good, some nice Gourami that were tempting, good selection of different tetra, lots of male Betta's all kept separately and looking healthy. Some nice red Discus, fantastic looking mollys. Surprised there were no red tailed sharks, barbs or some other common fish. Wide variety of Angels. . Some Marines too but a delivery had just arrived so many lights were off for acclimatisation so didn't really see them.

Plants
There was a wide variety of plants and I ended up leaving with 3. There were 2 tanks full of plants all of which were healthy with very little browning. No CO2 in tank.

QUALITY OF STOCK 10

From what I saw in the shop it looks great. Compared to other LFS shops all the tanks were very clean and well lit, there were no unwell/injured fish.

SERVICE PROVIDED 10
Service was excellent. I went in not really looking for anything in particular but got some great advice. Owner is passionate about his fish, they do not sell dyed fish. Even offered to do something with my barbs so that I could change the direction of my tank. Seemed knowledgeable regarding everything I asked.

I think I will be going here to get future fish, im looking for some mollys in the near future and maybe some Gourami too.

Wandered around Paisley Road West, Glasgow today to try and find out about ordering DP's...

Coral Reef Aquarium:

Variety of Stock: 8/10 - Mostly saltwater fish. Good variety of each though.
Quality of Stock: 9/10 - All fish seemed happy and healthy, tanks a tad small for some but all very clean and no dead fish!
Service: 9/10 - Staff all new their stuff, asked what fish were in my tank when I asked about DP's. Although the woman I asked about ordering in DP's didn't seem to happy about it.

Waterworld Aquatics:

Variety of Sock: 9/10 - Fantastic range of both saltwater and freshwater. Good variety of corals, although their tanks could do with a clean.
Quality of Stock: 9/10 - Again, all fish happy and healthy. Some tanks a tad small but all very clean and no dead fish!
Service: 10/10 - Staff knew exactly what they were talking about. Had no problem telling me that they don't normally order in DP's as they are aggressive and he normally buys in bulk.

M&R Dogfish:

Variety of Stock: 8/10 - Smaller number of tanks than last two stores. Small saltwater section.
Quality of Stock: 8/10 - Only saw one dead fish, although Betta's kept with Neons.
Service: 9/10 - Staff very knowledgable (sp?) and friendly.

On the bus going down Leith Walk today I saw a sign for a new shop called Ocean Life, just up the road from the old Aquatic Rooms (RIP). Anyone heard any whispers about it?

Soooo excited!

Passed Ocean Life again yesterday. The permanent signs are up and there was a guy at the door that looked suspiciously like David from the old Aquatic Rooms (RIP). So could this be the fish only shop that rumour has Phil opening back in Leith? I hope so. I need somewhere local to buy GOOD plants and fish. My tanks are suffering from the fallout of 3 months of building work in the house (bloomin plaster dust!!) and need a complete revamp too.

I've also heard from a colleague that A1 Pets in Great Junction Street has opened a tiny fish bit that is run by a guy who mentioned he used to work in the AR. I haven't been along yet but I know the shop and I can't imagine it being a large section at all. but maybe ok for a few goldies.

http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/showthread.php?t=331425

The new shop in Leith Walk is open and is run by an old customer of the Aquatic Rooms and David who used to work in AR. I'm hoping to pop in soon so will post my opinion (which I am sure will be good as shop looks FAB from the outside!)

Hi, do you know what number this shop is on leith walk?

Also, I'm was wonderinh where in Edinburgh would people recommend for coldwater goldfishes?

http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/showthread.php?t=331425

The new shop in Leith Walk is open and is run by an old customer of the Aquatic Rooms and David who used to work in AR. I'm hoping to pop in soon so will post my opinion (which I am sure will be good as shop looks FAB from the outside!)

Hi, do you know what number this shop is on leith walk?

Also, I'm was wonderinh where in Edinburgh would people recommend for coldwater goldfishes?
Hiya

It's further up than the old Aquatic Room and is in the old World of Gas shop just round from Pilrig Street.

I find it hard locating good coldwater fish as most shops tend to overlook them. Even the old AR had a poor selection. Last time I was in Pets At Home at Straiton there were a few I'd buy. It's hit or miss in there though. Sometimes the tanks look good but at other times they're gross.

Dundee

House of Pisces

Variety of Stock: 8/10 - House of Pisces never fails to have a good selection and some hard to find items - Mexican Salamander for example.

Quality of Stock: 5/10 - Every time I visit I will count more than 5 tanks with dead fish and another 5 which are in a disasterous state of cleanliness. Twice I have bought and had half the stock die in a relatively short period (not something I experience with Ultimate Aquatics (UDA) in Cupar.

Service: 5/10 - Often feel certain older staff/owner to be hostile towards questions (that might just be a personality thing though!!) Prices for equipment is ridiculous (pets@home comparible or cheaper, internet often 50% or more cheaper AFTER delivery costs.)

The House of Pisces is a real let down. A huge number of people in Dundee report it to be a brilliant store, but they simply dont know better.

For high quality, good prices and bus distance in Dundee, go to Dobbies - the staff really care & knowlegdeable, tanks are excellent, equipment is fantastic & well priced. If you have a car, go to Ultimate Aquatics.

NAME Pets at Home Wick
VARIETY OF STOCK (out of 10) 10- Very Local shop I have got a good relationship with the staff, and they will order anything for me.
QUALITY OF STOCK (out of 10) + 7 Sometimes the tanks have been quarantined because of White Spot,
SERVICE PROVIDED (out of 10) + 9 I know all the staff, they give good advice when they can, Free water tests and free replacements whenever the fish dies. Apart from the trainee who doesn't give a *hit

Good Store, but only because we live in a small town and everyone knows everyone.

Tortea

NAME: House of Pisces Dundee

VARIETY OF STOCK (out of 10) + COMMENTS 8/10
QUALITY OF STOCK (out of 10) + COMMENTS 5/10
SERVICE PROVIDED (out of 10) + COMMENTS 3/10

very nice selection of fish
id say at least 30% of the fish in the tanks are labelled under the wrong name
a LOT of dead fish in the tanks
tanks severely overcrowded
PRICE omg, have never seen such overpriced fish in my life, some people might not mind this and i wouldnt either but when you are buying unhealthy fish at 3 maybe 4 times the price they are elsewhere it makes all the difference

NAME: ALL Aberdeen fish stores

VARIETY OF STOCK (out of 10) + COMMENTS 4/10
QUALITY OF STOCK (out of 10) + COMMENTS 4/10
SERVICE PROVIDED (out of 10) + COMMENTS 2/10

can sum up all aberdeen fish stores with the scores above
although waterworld are slightly better they are still pretty rubish tbh

Excellent thread, will be checking out the best stores in the Glasgow area, even if its only for a browse. lol :good:

This is an excellent thread. I found it on google while looking for fish shops in ayrshire and after reading through it, I registered on the forum :good:

I'm originally from north ayrshire but have lived in Israel for 12 years. Will be back in Scotland next week so thought I'd check out the local fish shops and while there I want to buy a Rena 600 air pump for my 300ltr community tank.

After reading through the thread I think I'll be checking out the shops in Paisley Road West....will be interesting to see who's still going strong as those were the places I used to buy my stock from when I kept fish back in the early 90's.

Was wondering if anyone knew the best place for hardware around that area, specifically the Rena pump I want.

Cheers :good:

Acorn Pet Centres - Aberdeen

0/10 Quality of Stock - Always the same stock always dead or dying. The sides of their tanks are rammed full of dead "Jumpers" or "crispy critters" as i recall them calling them. When I bought a couple of platys from them they didn't rinse their hands, when they did get the fish out they would hold them in their bare hands and chuck them into the bag. Just a joke.

0/10 Service - Not once have they offered help, rather they just stand yapping on their phones yapping to each other, itching their arses just generally pi$$ing about.

0/10 Variety Of stock - Guppies, platys, mollies misc cichlids a few tetras and barbs nothing special.

Other comments - Shop is always a state and things are often priced wrongly. If you ask them to order something they just hand you a list of fish they can order and let you sift through the 10 pages or so in the hope of finding your preferred species. I used them three times and now never again.

Pets at home - Aberdeen
Variety - 8/10 Always some oddballs (elephant noses, knifefish etc) plenty of shrimp loaches, etc will try and order in specifics for you.

Service 6/10 - Busy shop so its rare that they will come to you although when you do find an employee they are very willing to help. Most of them give sound advice and will happily answer your questions.

Quality of stock 7/10 - Only ever seen a couple dead in the tanks and both times the tanks were off for treatment so at least they were trying to rectify the problem. Other than that all fish are healthy and in sellable condition.

Other LFS's in Aberdeen are ok but generally are poor in service, quality and stock.

Acorn pet centres Arbroath - Definitely a diamond in the rough, I couldn't believe it when I went in staff are always smiley and happy to help.
Variety of stock 9/10 - Always plenty of everything including oddballs like albino clawed frogs, crabs, lobsters snails, shrimp plenty variety and are always willing to order specifics in.

Service 8/10 - Some more knowledgeable on fish than others e.g I was sold my rosy tetras as serpaes so I got them for £1.79 each rather than 2.99 ea (I wasn't going to correct them...) Others have good knowledge on water types, PH levels, treatments, plants,

Quality of stock 9/10 - Never seen a dying fish in their tanks so they are almost perfect, only thing is that now and again a tank will be off for quarantine.

T Browns and sons Arbroath -

Variety 8/10 - Always plenty of different species and oddballs, some discus in here too.

Service 7/10 - If busy then you get no service as a lot of the stuff sold here they appear to make themselves i.e frozen food, flakes, pellets, is stored behind the serving till so the staff are mostly kept behind the desk bagging stuff up and selling bags of foods etc

Quality of stock 10/10 not once have I ever seen dead or dying fish, algae on the glass never anything like this. Also the fish are all incredibly brightly coloured so in other words they are happy and not stressed.

The guys keeps most kinds of woods mopani, bog etc. Sells tanks and orders in big ones, he also orders in dozens upon dozens of hard to get species if you make a request.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back