Scottish Fish Store Directory

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

:hyper: EXCITING UPDATE :hyper:

I have been informed by "@@@@@" ( a member on this forum) that the owner of the Aquatic rooms on Leith Walk, Edinburgh has bought a warehouse in tranent and is in the process of creating the best aquatic centre in Scotland! It'll be completed In January-February!!

just thought I'd add this just now and update it in January-February!!

cheers @@@@@ for the info mate!

and thanks 3-fingers for getting another shop down
its open and it is HUGE!!!!!! has pretty much everything you could want!

anyone got details of new shop in tranent, staff and owner from aquatic rooms.......

oops sorry tom, i didnt realise you had posted in here too,, i just got this off yell.com but it may well be the old one, i dont live over there so am unsure of the area

Aquatic-Rooms
335-337, Leith Walk, Edinburgh, Midlothian EH6 8SD
Tel: 0131 553 5252

Classification: Pet Shops

Clearing out the cupboard the other evening and found an envelope with a gift reciept for the Aquatic Rooms in it - my daughter got it for her Xmas and we haven't used it :(
What's the chances of the new shop accepting it do ya reckon?

I'm sure Phil will honour the voucher at the new shop. He's a reasonable chap. :good:

oops sorry tom, i didnt realise you had posted in here too,, i just got this off yell.com but it may well be the old one, i dont live over there so am unsure of the area

Aquatic-Rooms
335-337, Leith Walk, Edinburgh, Midlothian EH6 8SD
Tel: 0131 553 5252

Classification: Pet Shops

That is the old shop, Shelagh. It is now closed, sadly.

The new shop is called 'East Lothian Aquatics' and the address is:-

1 Anfield Farm
Eh33 1EA

Edinburgh First bus X8 gets there in about 35 mins from Princes Street.

Cheers :good:

BTT

holburn tropicals is a horrible shop tanks are full of algae and fish are either diseased or in a bad state, i have been in several times and wouldnt buy a thing from them.!! this is tropical fish cant speak for marine as havent looked.

A1 aquatics are terrible as they lie to everybody about the fish , i have had a lot of people say the same. i got banned for taking a fish back because they told the usual crap and i found out that the fish was not suitable for what i had and it would outgrow my tank. but they didnt belive me and banned me for this the owner called me a #### etc. horrible staff!!! :crazy:

:(
So who in aberdeen or the close surrounding area is good for fish!? i can get some new fish.. but i dont know where to get some good fish..

Thought i would post my opinion on some of the East Coast shops i've visited.

I'd like to recommend Outside Inside in Haddington as my top shop.

I've visited a lot of the shops in Edinburgh & the surrounding area & this has consistently had lots of stock (all week). The tanks are spotless, the owner is very helpful & knowledgeable as is his wife when it comes to the plant side of things. They quarantine all fish for 7-10 days before selling. I'd give them 9/10 losing a point for being 45 mins from my house!

The Aquatic Rooms/East Lothian Aquatics at Macmerry (Tranent) is ok. A large shop with a good stock of decor, food & equipment. They have a lot of fish in stock however, i've been in 3 or 4 times now & seen a lot of dead fish, many with whitespot too, all for sale. I wouldn't buy fish from them because of that but it's worth looking for ideas & the staff are always friendly & helpful. They have a good marine selection too.

The Aquatic Centre/Aquacadabra - Edinburgh. I'm not really sure what to make of this place. It has a very limited selection of tropicals & the worst marine set up i've seen so far. The marine fish looked more depressed than an accountant at the RBS! They have reptiles & spiders etc which may make up most of their business now, hence the lack of fish? They do have the best selection of foods/medicines & books i have seen. I've been several times & have found the staff to be very rude & unattentive except a woman who i assumed was the owner, shame about the others.

Water Wonders - Edinburgh. This is a decent sized shop with a good selection of decor/tanks/food etc. The fish house downstairs is always well stocked & the staff are friendly & helpful. The store & tanks could do with an overhaul but it serves it's purpose. Parking outside is a no-no but if you nip down the alley a few doors down there is a block of flats with plenty of spaces.

Dobbies - Lasswade, Edinburgh. Good selection of Trops & Marine, mostly best sellers though. Lots of equipment, decor, tanks & plants. Slightly pricey on some things but that's to be expected. Staff are fairly well trained.

Riverside Aquaria (Williamsons Garden Centre, Uphall) - I like this wee shop. It's in a shed in the garden centre & has a good selection of basic gear & foods. Plants are limited but there are plenty of fish & all look healthy. The tanks are kept spotless & there is a good variety on show. Only downside is it's in the middle of nowhere & it's hard to find a reason to visit West Lothian as it is! ;)

Ultimate Aquatics - Cupar, Fife. Bit of a trek from Edinburgh. Set in a fairly large industrial unit, there wasn't much selection of equipment or goods when i visited yesterday. They did have some nice tanks for sale. The marine fish were well looked after as where the tropicals however there weren't many in when i visited. Staff were friendly but i was a wee bit disappointed with the shop in general. Maybe try & return on a saturday to see what's available then.

I've still to try PH7 in Edinburgh but i will post up my findings once i've been.

G :)

I've still to try PH7 in Edinburgh but i will post up my findings once i've been.

Hi Graeme,

Unfortunately PH7 appears to have closed down already. It's a shame, I never got the chance to visit either. :sad:

I was telling Hugh at OutsideInside yesterday that you gave him a good write up. :good: Where you from mate?

BTT

Ah, that's a shame :(

I'm from West Edinburgh mate.

Any other decent shops i should check out that i've not picked up on?

ABERDEEN

NAME Holburn Tropicals
VARIETY OF STOCK (out of 10) 3/10+ COMMENTS - Not enough variety
QUALITY OF STOCK (out of 10) 3/10 + COMMENTS - Fish all look unhappy,dead or diseased fish in most tanks,the tanks themselves are disgusting,i was horrified to see 4 huge fish that could barely move in a 4 foot tank hidden away obviously not for sale,the only thing that looks clean and ok quality is the marines.
SERVICE PROVIDED (out of 10) + COMMENTS - never bought anything so can't comment

ANY OTHER COMMENTS - Have been in a couple of times would never buy anything from them.

NAME-A1
VARIETY OF STOCK (out of 10) 5/10+ COMMENTS - Depends when you go in,sometimes the tanks are quite empty but i put that down to them being busy

QUALITY OF STOCK (out of 10)5/10 + COMMENTS - this varies,have often seen dead fish in tanks,i bought some platties which died a few days later,got my moonlight gouramis from them and they have been ok

SERVICE PROVIDED (out of 10)2/10 + COMMENTS - the attitude of the staff(especially the woman) in the shop is shocking,if you ask for advice they seem to talk down at you for being stupid and this has put me off going there.

ANY OTHER COMMENTS- Prices are reasonable but thier attitude stinks,puts me off going in.It seems your treated like royalty if you spend a fortune often.

NAME: Waterworld,kittybrewster,Aberdeen
VARIETY OF STOCK (out of 10)7/10 + COMMENTS-Usually have a good variety of livestock and occasionally have unusual stuff in,good range of tanks and tank equipment,prices can be a bit hefty.

QUALITY OF STOCK (out of 10)5/10 + COMMENTS-absolutely everything i have bought from them has died within weeks,tanks are in good condition though.

SERVICE PROVIDED (out of 10)2/10 + COMMENTS- this used to be an excellent store when the owner cared about the fish,now he just cares about profit.They had a columbian shark which i took a liking to,having never seen one before i asked how big it would get,it was around 5 inches at the time and i was told maybe an inch or so more,i asked if it would be ok in my 4ft community tank and was told yes,so i bought him,few days later he was showing signs of severe stress,investigation proved he was totally unsuitable for me,they never mentioned he would need brackish water or anything,we had also bought 10 guppies for the small tank and 4 were dead before they were out of the bag,i called him about this and was told that was tough and they wasn't prepared to do anything about it.

ANY OTHER COMMENTS- wont be going back there,clean shop but bad service and poor quality fish has put me off for good.

NAME-Pets at home
VARIETY OF STOCK (out of 10)6/10 + COMMENTS Variety varies and they do often have limited stock fish.

QUALITY OF STOCK (out of 10)8/10 + COMMENTS Have bought alot of fish from them and never really had any issues that was down to the stock,tanks at the moment are pretty bad with algae,they quarantine tanks as soon as a problem is spotted.

SERVICE PROVIDED (out of 10)7/10 + COMMENTS Nightmare to track down a member of staff,they are very particular on asking for tank details,stocking etc which can be a pain for an experience fishkeeper but is refreshing to see they give good advice to unexperienced keepers.Most of the staff keep fish themselves and seem to know alot about what they stock.

ANY OTHER COMMENTS- About the best we have on offer in Aberdeen.

NAME-ACORN
VARIETY OF STOCK (out of 10) 3/10+ COMMENTS-very little variety

QUALITY OF STOCK (out of 10)3/10 + COMMENTS-every single tank has had dead fish in them when i'v been in,i'v seen the lights all being off still at lunch time and most fish look ill,tanks are in a rediculous state.

SERVICE PROVIDED (out of 10)0/10 + COMMENTS Staff in here are absolutely shocking,shouting at eachother across the store disgussing thier weekend antics,the whole shop is a complete mess and no assistance has ever been offered.I would never buy from them

ANY OTHER COMMENTS- Tried to get in touch with head office but thier website has been down for months,resorted to getting the number from a store near dundee.

Aberdeen is awful for fish so i now travel to dundee every few weeks,where i visit house of pices and dobbies and both stores are great.

There is a place in ellon which seems to be ok and often stocks oddballs,he is in the process of moving though so as soon as i have the new details i will post them up.

The Aquatic Rooms/East Lothian Aquatics at Macmerry (Tranent) is ok. A large shop with a good stock of decor, food & equipment. They have a lot of fish in stock however, i've been in 3 or 4 times now & seen a lot of dead fish, many with whitespot too, all for sale. I wouldn't buy fish from them because of that but it's worth looking for ideas & the staff are always friendly & helpful. They have a good marine selection too.

In the interests of fairness, i visited ELA yesterday & the tanks were all very clean, all of the fish looked healthy & happy & there was a pretty good selection in. They have set up a new stand next to the tropicals which is being finished off but looks like it will add another 20 or so tanks in the very near future.

They had some really nice looking malawi's in too. (now i just need to sweet talk the missus......)

G :)

Don't know the name of it, it's just something simple like 'Pet Shop' or something. It's on Quarry Street in Hamilton, up the top.

VARIETY OF STOCK: 7/10 As it is a very small shop, it has limited variety but not bad considering the size of it. The usuals (neons, tetras, livebearers, etc.) but also they sometimes get in some more unusual ones like BGK, cichlids, etc. and the other day when I went in they had these weird brown things that looked like a cross between a catfish and a plec about 15-20cms long and quite chunky. No idea what they were - they hadn't put a sign thing up yet as he was only just putting them in the tank. They will also get you in a specific kind of fish if you ask for them - they got us in a pair of kribs :)

QUALITY OF STOCK: 9/10 Very good - no diseased/dead fish in the tanks ever that I have seen. Only loses a point as they stock dyed parrot fish and there were some suspicious "coloured corys" that looked dyed the other day too but other than that, very good.

SERVICE PROVIDED: 9/10 Again, very good. We took back a firemouth that had eaten one of our other fish and the guy that owns it took it back without fuss, apologized for selling us a fish unsuitable for our tank and gave us 2 free fish to replace the one he ate! :D Now that's service! The guys that work there know there stuff and are good for advice about suitablity etc. Good prices too. Only loses one as they don't give details as to the size that fish will grow, eg. they had clown loaches for sale which were about 3cm long and very cute looking but didn't give any warning as to the huge size that they can become.

ANY OTHER COMMENTS: A good fish shop for its size, however it stocks very few tanks at all (plastic or biorb and that's about it) and not a lot of choice with food, equipment, etc. This can be forgiven though as it is very small. They have plants for sale which look in good condition - I have never bought plants off of them though as we have silver dollars so have plastic. Did notice one non-aquatic one the other day but if you know enough then they have nice plants, if a bit limited in selection.

Don't even bother going to buy fish at Acorn or P@H in Hamilton - their fish are terrible. Always dead fish everywhere and the people who work there are too busy sitting talking at the counter to care. They are good for supplies though due to their size.

Edit: The one in Hamilton is called 'Pet & Aquarium Supplies' and is across the street from what used to be Stationary Box and is now a charity shop. (Was there today :D)

Don't know the name of it, it's just something simple like 'Pet Shop' or something. It's on Princes Street in Hamilton, up the top.

VARIETY OF STOCK: 7/10 As it is a very small shop, it has limited variety but not bad considering the size of it. The usuals (neons, tetras, livebearers, etc.) but also they sometimes get in some more unusual ones like BGK, cichlids, etc. and the other day when I went in they had these weird brown things that looked like a cross between a catfish and a plec about 15-20cms long and quite chunky. No idea what they were - they hadn't put a sign thing up yet as he was only just putting them in the tank. They will also get you in a specific kind of fish if you ask for them - they got us in a pair of kribs :)

QUALITY OF STOCK: 9/10 Very good - no diseased/dead fish in the tanks ever that I have seen. Only loses a point as they stock dyed parrot fish and there were some suspicious "coloured corys" that looked dyed the other day too but other than that, very good.

SERVICE PROVIDED: 9/10 Again, very good. We took back a firemouth that had eaten one of our other fish and the guy that owns it took it back without fuss, apologized for selling us a fish unsuitable for our tank and gave us 2 free fish to replace the one he ate! :D Now that's service! The guys that work there know there stuff and are good for advice about suitablity etc. Good prices too. Only loses one as they don't give details as to the size that fish will grow, eg. they had clown loaches for sale which were about 3cm long and very cute looking but didn't give any warning as to the huge size that they can become.

ANY OTHER COMMENTS: A good fish shop for its size, however it stocks very few tanks at all (plastic or biorb and that's about it) and not a lot of choice with food, equipment, etc. This can be forgiven though as it is very small. They have plants for sale which look in good condition - I have never bought plants off of them though as we have silver dollars so have plastic. Did notice one non-aquatic one the other day but if you know enough then they have nice plants, if a bit limited in selection.

Don't even bother going to buy fish at Acorn or P@H in Hamilton - their fish are terrible. Always dead fish everywhere and the people who work there are too busy sitting talking at the counter to care. They are good for supplies though due to their size.

I may have to check out the one in Hamilton.

At least the P@H in Hamilton doesn't have dried up fish at the sides of their tanks...Ew!

NAME-ACORN DUNDEE, by the big big tesco and halfords
VARIETY OF STOCK (out of 10) 2/10+ COMMENTS-Only a couple of dozen tanks,several with coldwater fish in,several with everyday tropicals like tetras,corys,danios and guppies...not seen any bettas there,dont think they do them,they may have a tank full of females that i havent seen but no males IIRC

QUALITY OF STOCK (out of 10)1/10 + COMMENTS-Terrible, i would never buy from there again, i bought my first few fish from there,3 of which have died and i should have steered clear and will from now on due to the fact that ive been there 4 times and a few tanks are quarantined when i go,other tanks have ill looking fish in them and there have been dead fish rotting away (and being eaten by the others) regularly. Tank water looks clean on the inhabited tanks but the empty ones are lights off and covered in algae

SERVICE PROVIDED (out of 10)0/10 + COMMENTS-Staff offer no advice,they merely hoy ur fish into a bag and add some blue liquid (which i assume is some kind of med to calm the fish or remove ick from the tankwater they've bagged for you or something) And she also bagged me a bendybacked danio and never said anything,only noticed its spine was ruined when i got it home.

Ultimate aquatics - CUPAR

I love this shop,it doesn't have everything,but the staff are spot on and the fish are very well looked after,as follows

VARIETY OF STOCK (out of 10) 7/10+ COMMENTS- Only a tropical keeper so can only comment on tropicals...a large amount of tanks in the end room containing every type of begginer fish im intrested in along with the bigger better things such as discus,sharks and so on. However the stock varies week to week,u can go today and see a tank full of an everyday species and go next week and see none of said species)There is a marine room with half a dozen long tanks full of marine fish in.

QUALITY OF STOCK (out of 10)9/10 + COMMENTS-Not seen 1 dead fish in there in the 6 times ive been there. as said they quarantine fish before u see them on the shop floor,only ever seen one injured fish and that was a large discus that had been ripped to bits...it was in a tank alone so i think it may have been fostered by the shop from an owner who didnt want to let it be killed in their tank....

SERVICE PROVIDED (out of 10)7/10 + COMMENTS Staff in here are very helpful, always keen to answer questions however when i was first setting up my 17L tank the guy wasn't as cautious as u forum users when helping advise me to stock it,every thing he said was "it's ur tank,do what u think is right" but what i wanted was what he'd do as he is the expert...or so i thought. He aimed me at the 6 danios which i bought (was gonna get 6 neon tetras but they'd ran out)

ANY OTHER COMMENTS- Some dry goods are often out of stock just when i need them,such as live foods,bogwood and even aquarium backgrounds

I personally would'nt go anywhere else though..I just phone ahead and see if what i want is in..if not they claim they can get you the fish u want within a timeframe

I may have to check out the one in Hamilton.

At least the P@H in Hamilton doesn't have dried up fish at the sides of their tanks...Ew!

Speaking of dried up fish... :eek:

We were cleaning out our 55L tank, and I mean, cleaning out. As in, moving fish into kitchen bin and scrubbing out inside of tank. When we put all the fish back in, we wondered where one of the tetras had gone, but we thought it had probably been eaten as we searched the tank and found no dead fish.

Then yesterday, I went to check the temp of the tank and BEHIND the fish tank, crispy and stuck to the floor was the missing tetra! :crazy: I just about had a heart attack on the spot :no: And now I feel really bad about it, even though it's my dads tank and my fish in my own tank are fine :(

Woops :unsure:

P@H Hamilton is one of the poor ones, I've had some really poor fish from there, staff seem helpful enough though.

Just wanted to say about an online store I found there and ordered some stuff off of. Its www.aquatics-online.co.uk . I wanted black aquarium silicone but couldn't find it in P@H, Acorn (yes, I went in - hated it - but I went in) or my LFS. So I went online and found that ^. I must say though, I am impressed. They don't stock live things ie. plants or fish, but have a HUGE range of hardware and equipment, all at very good prices I must say. For example, when I went on there, I got:
~ A Tetratec APS50 Air Pump
~ A 3 pack of airline clip sucker thingys to tidy up cables etc.
~ 2m of airline
~ 80ml of jewel black silicone
&
~ Eheim Carbon Filter Pads (2213 model)

and the price came to £25.32 including first class postage! Well chuffed :D I think I've uncovered a wee jewel here :hyper:

They do loads of other pet stuff too like cat stuff, dog stuff, reptile stuff and pond stuff, but I'm not sure how well priced they are since I didn't look at them.

Happy shopping :good:

Claire

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back