Scleromystax barbatus

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

GaryE

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Scleromystax are group of fish that used to be in the Corydoras group, before further research lead to a reclassification. They are larger than the average Cory, and need well oxygenated, cooler waters (18-21c, just like my killies). I got 2 about a year and a half ago, then 2 more in March last year. I'd like to have started with a bigger group, but the twos were all I could find.

They've been growing (the first 2 are at 8-9cm, 3 inches), and getting more and more beautiful with time. Last week, I decided they might be ready to increase their group. So I moved them to a 15 gallon at 21.5 degrees, my coolest tank. I fed them bug bites pellets alternating with white worms.

I put a neat little tool to work - a USB powered water pump that I've used with current loving fish before. It isn't powerful, but it can be strategically directed, either in 10 gallon breeding tanks, or for Corys. This time, I aimed at the far wall of the 15.

I've done three 25% water changes using December in Canada tapwater (dechlorinated). My water is soft and in the mid 6 pH range. The tank rapidly tumbles from 21.5 to 18. with every change This is meant to simulate heavy rains in the moutains these fish come from. After a water change at 9 last night, I found 2 eggs on the glass this morning. They were glued to the wall right where the flow is the strongest.

It has begun.

Sometimes, patience is really important. 2 isn't much, and I can see the fish are still very frisky. One of the younger 2 is a female, and she has started barging in on the now constant dance of the big ones. So I may have a poor ratio of 2 females and one active, mature male. You work with what you have... Here's a photo of a very young one from a previous breeding years and years ago.
sclero11 (640x427).jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back