Scarlet badis

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

mattsfish13

Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon tank with two pair of scarlet badis. Hat other fish would do well as tank mates.

I have a 10 gallon tank with two pair of scarlet badis. Hat other fish would do well as tank mates.
They should be put with other small peaceful fish. Avoid fish that are too active, because the Scarlet Badis will not want to come out to eat. You might be successful in keeping them with a small shoal of Rasboras, as long as you make sure they are getting enough food. Large aggressive and more active fish such as bettas, goldfish, and cichlids must be avoided. Other non-fish inhabitants such as shrimps and snails are not a good idea and don’t make good tank mates (they will be eaten). Ideally, though, these fish should be kept in a species only tank due to their extremely timid and shy nature. Their temperament will result in larger and more active fish out-competing them for food and space.

These fish are very sensitive to pollution so make sure you regularly change the water. Clean the aquarium at least once a week, changing at least 50% of the water. (that number will change if you have a planted tank) While a 10 gallon is fine for such small fish, be sure not to overstock with new tankmates.

They should be put with other small peaceful fish. Avoid fish that are too active, because the Scarlet Badis will not want to come out to eat. You might be successful in keeping them with a small shoal of Rasboras, as long as you make sure they are getting enough food. Large aggressive and more active fish such as bettas, goldfish, and cichlids must be avoided. Other non-fish inhabitants such as shrimps and snails are not a good idea and don’t make good tank mates (they will be eaten). Ideally, though, these fish should be kept in a species only tank due to their extremely timid and shy nature. Their temperament will result in larger and more active fish out-competing them for food and space.

These fish are very sensitive to pollution so make sure you regularly change the water. Clean the aquarium at least once a week, changing at least 50% of the water. (that number will change if you have a planted tank) While a 10 gallon is fine for such small fish, be sure not to overstock with new tankmates.
I was thinking about maybe a small shoal of chili rasboras or possibly pgmy corys but I’m unsure about the corys

Ember tetras would work out also, corys are usually very peaceful but they would be better off in a 20 gallon long with more room to swim.

I was thinking about maybe a small shoal of chili rasboras or possibly pgmy corys but I’m unsure about the corys
I think chili rasboras would look nice. The pygmy corys would probably be fine, but I would make sure they have places to hide and feel safe. I think they would do better in a bigger tank though, so they have more room to swim. I don't think they would be a bother to the Scarlet Badis, since they spend their time at the bottom and aren't competing for the same food. What substrate do you have? Is the tank planted?

Yes the tank is planted right now I have a rock cave I made with dragon stone. I plan to add more plants. I am using the aqueon plant substrate.

Yes the tank is planted right now I have a rock cave I made with dragon stone. I plan to add more plants. I am using the aqueon plant substrate.
While the corys might do alright, I think the rasboras are a better choice. (Or the ember tetras) I think the corys just really need more space.

Chili rasboras or ember tetras. Pygmy cats are a little to boisterous for these guys. Think calm. They are very shy.

They are beautiful little fish. I had two for a while, Dario1 and Dario2 !
Love to see some pictures!

I was thinking about maybe a small shoal of chili
Chili rasboras or ember tetras. Pygmy cats are a little to boisterous for these guys. Think calm. They are very shy.
Would Thai micro crabs do well or end up as food

Just jumping in here, from my experience anything that is near the bottom will send them hiding. I cant imagine any feeler waving scurrier working out with these fish.
I had two males; your conditions may offer different results.
I imagine a species only or biotopic set up would offer the best advantage for these fish to thrive in an enclosed environment such as we aquarists offer.

I would love to see that and have an urgent need to Google videos now. :book:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back