Sausage Fest

bolivian_d

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Aug 12, 2008
Messages
82
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hello,

Say my tank is a complete sausage fest with 3 male honey gourami's, 2 male bolivian rams and 1 male bristlenose. What can I expect long term (other than no fry)?

Is chasing and aggression OK as long as no one gets hurt? Is there any evidence to suggest that their quality of life/life expectancy won't be as great without some tail to chase?


Cheers
 
Is there any evidence to suggest that their quality of life/life expectancy won't be as great without some tail to chase? - None whatsoever

Is chasing and aggression OK as long as no one gets hurt? - Basically yes but it's a close judgement call on each individual situation. With lots of boys in the tank you will get some agression and spats between them, as in humans male fish are often fairly boisterous in a group! There's nothing wroing with a bit of chasing and sparring with each other, but you'll want to keep a fairly close eye on this particularly as the fish get a little older and start to come towards sexual maturity, just make sure that no one fish is being picked on or looking stressed.
 
Yeah, I agree.

The "red" honey gourami's are impossible to sexually differentiate (so I thought?). It's possible that one's a female but I really have no idea.

I don't know the sex of my bolivians. The fin length looked the same for all of them.

On an unrelated note, my LFS didn't have any sinking pellets in stock. My bolivians aren't getting any flake. The one that does come to the surface and gets a nibble just spits out the flake. Even if I push it down to make it sink the gourami's still beat them to the punch. Any ideas?
 
I love the title! :lol:

As for the food problem, try using a pvc pipe that goes to the bottom of the aquarium and put the flakes/pellets in there. The gouramis won't know that there is food inside and the rams can get it once it hits the floor. :good:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top