Sand or dark slate type gravel.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

The only sand I have used is Unipac silica sand (in my 23 litre tank) and B D Trading sand which I found in a local shop. The silica sand is quite orangey, probably not what you want. But Unipac do make a lot of different sands with different particle sizes. I would look on their website for ideas. there are several on-line shops which sell this brand. Unipac silver sand looks a lot like the sand in your link. Just avoid things like coral sand which will alter the hardness and pH of the water.
Thanks again I think I’ll go for the silver sand, how do you clean sand compared to gravel and how many inches deep should I go for some easy to care for plants at the start?

Up to 5 cm/2 inches deep.

Sand is cleaned by hovering the siphon tube about 1 cm over the surface and making little swirling motions. This lifts the debris off the sand to where it can be sucked up. If you use a bucket to collect the old water, some sand will end up in there. Just wash it and put it back in the tank.

Up to 5 cm/2 inches deep.

Sand is cleaned by hovering the siphon tube about 1 cm over the surface and making little swirling motions. This lifts the debris off the sand to where it can be sucked up. If you use a bucket to collect the old water, some sand will end up in there. Just wash it and put it back in the tank.

awesome mate, well that’s the sand ordered, ill
go to my local for java moss and amazon sword
Plants will they be in buried deep in the sand for now? And do I have to add any additives to the tank?

@AdoraBelle Dearheart
I did not realize the OP was from the UK. As @seangee mentioned, Argos play sand is safe. I can’t speak for anything else in the UK, as I do not live there/am not experienced in that field.

@AdoraBelle Dearheart
I did not realize the OP was from the UK. As @seangee mentioned, Argos play sand is safe. I can’t speak for anything else in the UK, as I do not live there/am not experienced in that field.
Yes, Sean and I said which play sands in the UK are known to be safe, because someone needed to tell him not to order any old dyed sand online. OP's location is right there in their profile, and I've warned you before that most play sands available here are dyed and are not fish safe. At the very least, when you're saying things like;
I can not speak for other brands of play sand, but I know for a fact that Quikrete Play Sand is 100% safe.

They can’t wash it in bleach, because it has to be safe for little kids to put it in their mouths.

You can get any other of sand you want. They make brown, grey, tan, brown, etc.

I was just suggesting play sand, because it’s a great choice, and it’s cheap. :)
At least warn not to buy any old play sand since many are not fish safe, and tag someone who does know what play sands are available in the UK. When you're all "look at this! Play sand is cheap and safe! They can't bleach stuff for kids!" someone is going to read that, order some random cheap dyed play sand online, and kill their entire tank.You're aware that not all play sand in the UK is safe, so at least mentioning that will reduce the chances of someone buying a load of toxic sand.

Amazon swords will need root tablets - Saechen Flourish roots tabs are one of the best as they don't foul the water. Java moss will need a liquid feed, though not much as it is slow growing. Look for Seachem Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium or TNC Lite. (Just those two, there are several other Flourishes and TNC Complete which you don't want)

Amazon swords will need root tablets - Saechen Flourish roots tabs are one of the best as they don't foul the water. Java moss will need a liquid feed, though not much as it is slow growing. Look for Seachem Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium or TNC Lite. (Just those two, there are several other Flourishes and TNC Complete which you don't want)

Awesome so al I will need for the plants I’m wanting and for most plants/moss are the Flourish Comp, and the TNC Complete and that is all for liquids into the water so I’ll need to get both correct? I appreciate you help mate I’m also close to you I believe I’m from Newcastle,

For root plants I’ll need the tablets and do you place one tablet per plant don’t want to overdose

Last edited:
White or very light sand is not good for fish. It reflects the light back up into the tank and this is stressful for fish. No fish have evolved over a light substrate which is why fish are dark coloured if you look at them from on top - to blend in with what's underneath them. Dark or sand coloured sand is better for fish.

Light sand also shows all the fish poop ;)

I have white sand but I never turn my lights on “full blast” and usually just do this dim setting so it isn’t too bright. Also have my Cory clean up crew so I never see anything ll

@AdoraBelle Dearheart

I specifically said that Quikrete sand is safe. I said “I can’t speak for other brands of play sand, but I know for a fact that Quikrete sand is 100% safe”.

I know this brand and this brand only is safe, because @Byron has done extensive research on this, and has even spoken to the manufacturer.

Now if I were to say “Just get any brand of play sand that looks good” then you have every right to correct me.

so al I will need for the plants I’m wanting and for most plants/moss are the Flourish Comp, and the TNC Complete
No, sorry I didn't make it clear.

Seachem Flourish root tabs for the sword. Push one tab into the substrate next to the roots and follow the instructions for when to replace it.
Either Flourish Comp or TNC Lite liquid feeds for the moss. Moss is slow growing so it will need a lot less than the dose on the bottle. Maybe one tenth of the dose once a week. If you get more plants you can then increase the dose.

Do not use any other Seachem product with the word Flourish in the name, and do not use TNC Complete. The companies make it easy to get the wrong one by having lots of products with similar names.

Newcastle's not far away :)

Seachem Flourish root tabs for the sword. Push one tab into the substrate next to the roots and follow the instructions for when to replace it.
Either Flourish Comp or TNC Lite liquid feeds for the moss. Moss is slow growing so it will need a lot less than the dose on the bottle. Maybe one tenth of the dose once a week. If you get more plants you can then increase the dose.

Do not use any other Seachem product with the word Flourish in the name, and do not use TNC Complete. The companies make it easy to get the wrong one by having lots of products with similar names.

Brilliant! So I guess for plants like floating plants and plants that take food in through the leave you use the liquid stuff as stated above? And for everything root related you use them tabs?

There are some plants which grow in the substrate which are leaf feeders rather than root feeders. I have to confess that I don't have any plants rooted in the substrate, all mine are attached to wood or floating. So I am not well up on which plants rooted in the substrate need root tabs and which don't - I know that swords need tabs because I've read it so many times.

If you have swords and only floating or attached to decor plants, then tabs for the swords and liquid feed. But if you get other plants which grow in the substrate I'd ask in the planted section whether they are root feeders or leaf feeders.

There are some plants which grow in the substrate which are leaf feeders rather than root feeders. I have to confess that I don't have any plants rooted in the substrate, all mine are attached to wood or floating. So I am not well up on which plants rooted in the substrate need root tabs and which don't - I know that swords need tabs because I've read it so many times.

If you have swords and only floating or attached to decor plants, then tabs for the swords and liquid feed. But if you get other plants which grow in the substrate I'd ask in the planted section whether they are root feeders or leaf feeders.

thanks mate, if I wqs to buy some plants online could I keep them in a bucket of water for 4-5 days while IM waiting to do the complete make over?

You would need a heater in the bucket now the weather is getting colder, but for a few days that should be OK.

Word of caution about plants. If you have or intend to have shrimps or snails in the tank, be careful about the source of any plants. By EU law, any plants grown outside the EU must be treated with snail killer; and some non-EU countries also treat them with insecticide. A seller in this country may well be selling plants imported from outside the EU. If you don't want shrimps or snails, they're OK to use.
(I know we have left, but EU laws in place before we left have to be repealed or they still apply)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back