Sand Issues. 'neath My Sand All Is Black, And It Stains My Porous

doktor doris

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jun 15, 2009
Messages
395
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Grantham.
hullo,

Again ;-)

Today I gave my sand a good turning over.

Whilst I was ploughing my sand I noticed that about 7mil under the surface the sand was almost black!

Not only that but the white, slightly porous pebbles that I pinched out of a neighbours plant-pots, where they are used to make the top of the pots that contain small shrubs look pretty, were stained black where they were buried.

They sand has only been in situ for 2 or 3 months.

What is going on?

Oh the sand also smelled like the bottom of a pond that has dried out in summer, not pleasant if you know what I mean.
 
:sick: i know that smell well!
how often are you turning the sand? the black is quite common IME, not quite sure what u can do to eliminate it tho, both these facts are stopping me from adding sand to my new tank, so when you find the answers ill nick them and have a go :D
good luck
 
Sand needs turning regularly - it can cause a build up of noxious gas if not. I find turning weekly helps keeep the black at bay too.
 
Hmm, it sounds as though I must learn to live with it then.

Heigh-ho, it's just that I loathe gravel. Gravel reminds me of the tank I owned 25 years ago as a ten year old, that tank had ghastly day-glo coloured gravel.

I think sand looks so natural, especially with a few patches of artfully arranged pebbles.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top