Salt Water Softener?

guppymonkey

Fish Herder
Joined
Aug 28, 2003
Messages
1,653
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Queensbury, New York, USA
What is the difference between water softening salt and regular aquarium salt? I thought salt would make your water harder because it is basically half calcium after all. And I thought that salt would raise the pH if it did make the water harder or would that be just a general idea. Hard water is usually high on the pH scale and soft water is usually low, so would salt have an effect on the pH? I am confused slightly about this since I never bother to try to change the water parameters and just let the fish get used to the water I have.
 
I would not recommend using water softener salt as I have heard that is contains other chemicals that are hard on fish.
The aquarium grade salt also contains trace minerals benificial to fish...
 
I would not recommend using water softener salt as I have heard that is contains other chemicals that are hard on fish.
The aquarium grade salt also contains trace minerals benificial to fish...

I also have heard that water softener salt has other chemicals in it but I am not sure what they are? Does anyone know for certain what the effects of these chemicals are?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top