Salt Per Gallon?

MermaidMel

Official Forum Weirdo Detective
Joined
Jul 14, 2007
Messages
3,972
Reaction score
0
Points
0
1 teaspoon per gallon... it seems weird adding 53 teaspoons of salt, is that right and ok to do? I have white spot :(
I'm medicating for ich, shall I use salt too?
 
Usually one tablespoon to 5 gallons of water.,
Depends on which fish you keep with salt.
I wouldn't add the full dose all at once you gradually build it up.
 
The fish are in my signature. I don't know if the gourami with the white flock spots is responsible but it seems like he might be, 1 of my pitbulls has whitespot now and there are a few spots on some of the rainbows and tetras. If I add 10 teaspoons of salt will the cories and loaches cope?
 
No salt with the loaches, plecs, and corys.
 
No salt as you have scaless fish it can burn there skin and irratate there skin,
What med are you using, it should tell you in the instructions when do perform a water change.
 
No salt as you have scaless fish it can burn there skin and irratate there skin,
What med are you using, it should tell you in the instructions when do perform a water change.

I'm using Interpret anti whitespot treatment
I'm so angry! Why did I try a new place when I was happy where I was! And to add to it, I can't even prove anything to them and so they've got away with infecting my whole tank
Do you think my galaxy rasboras will be ok as they don't appear to have scales or is that just because they are so small?
 
Only had whitespot once so forgot the med instuctions on interpet whitespot.
What does it say in the instructions, do you have to do a water change before you retreat.
It dosn't take much to have an outbreak on whitespot fetched on by stress which lowers there immune system, temp being unstable.
 
It does not say anything about changing the water, just the treatment of
I have raised the temp as I said, but having read your article you posted that around 86 should kill it off with the treatment, I am going to use my hydor aria aerator and slowly raise the temp by 2 degrees each day then treat again on day 4 as directed and hope for the best and remember a) never to go to that LFS again and b) never buy gourami again, I keep reading about these fish since I got them and all they do is cause problems

Thanks Wilder you're a really big support throughout all this I appreciate your time and patience
 
I would do a gravel vac and water change of 30% before you add the med again.
Good luck.
 
I would do a gravel vac and water change of 30% before you add the med again.
Good luck.

I will do that, it's sand so I hope that helps because the ich won't get between the substrate hopefully, thanks again
 
No salt as you have scaless fish it can burn there skin and irratate there skin,
What med are you using, it should tell you in the instructions when do perform a water change.
I am sorry but this is incorrect, and has been addressed many times on this forum.

The issue with salt is purely based on the ability of a given fish's osmoregulatory system to cope with salt in the water. Many fish have problems coping with a permanent level of salt in their water as a result of having evolved over millions of years in mineral poor water (while others have migrated in from the sea), but there is no burning of skin. It is to do with the extra pressure placed on the fish's osmoregulatory system in maintaining its internal salt balance.

Pretty much every cory and plec and loach can survive a short, medicinal dosing of salt to address a particular problem (such as white spot). It is when you keep the fish in salt for extended periods that problems will likely occur.

If scaleless fish are so burned by salt, how on earth do moray eels and brakcish catfish get by in the ocean so well?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top