Salt for use in freshwater aquariums

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

The-Wolf

Ex-LFS manager/ keeper of over 30 danio species
Reaction score
I have heard that adding salt can cure lots of diseases, is this true?

Yes. Salt will kill many protozoan parasites such as Costia, Trichodina and Chilodonella. It will also kill flukes and other ectoparasites. It can also support osmoregulation problems caused by bacterial ulcers; clear congested gills as well as supporting fish suffering from stress.
Because it works in a different way to most disease treatment, it is safer than several treatments and will not negatively affect the bacteria in filters.

How does salt do this?

When a fish gets an infection there is an increase in the water content of the infected tissues. Water tends to follow salt; consequently, a fish placed in a saltwater tends to lose water due to osmosis (the movement of water molecules from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration).

What dose should I use for the long term?

The best dosage is 1-3 grams per litre [(1-3 ppm (0.16 - 0.48 oz per Imperial gall) or (0.13-0.4 oz per US gall].

What is a salt bath?

A salt bath is where you immerse a fish in a high concentrate of saltwater for a short period of time.

How?

Make up, in a suitable container using tank water, a bath with the dosage of 10-30 grams per litre [(10 - 30 ppm - 1-3%) (1 - 4.7 oz per gall UK) or (1.3 – 4.0 oz per US gall]. Immerse the fish in this for up to 30 minutes. Note; the higher dose may only be tolerated for a few minutes. Ensure that you re-acclimatise the fish when reintroducing back to the tank.

Is salt safe for all freshwater fish?

No, some fish do not respond well to salt (i.e. some barbs, tetras, catfish and koi).

NOTE!
A heavy salt concentration can make fish loose their equilibrium and they simply "roll over". It is advisable to watch fish when using salt baths for any signs of rolling. If you see the fish start to roll, or any other abnormal behaviour, move it to clear water very quickly.

any other points are welcomed :nod:

Very good Wolf - useful information there. Mods - can this be pinned?

Just a slight clarification on osmosis:
-Normally freshwater fish take in water by osmosis, since there is a higher concentration of solutes in their body than in the surrounding water. This means they need to actively secrete water.

By adding salt the concentration of solutes in the surrounding water increases, so that less water enters the fish by osmosis, reducing the energy the fish must expend getting rid of water.

I have absolutly no idea what the water potential of a fish is :lol: , however I wouldnt have thought for ordinary freshwater fish you would be adding enough salt to the water to reverse the direction of water movement.

With a saltwater fish, the absence of salt can act the same way as for adding salt for a FW fish. A SW fish can be given a short FW bath to get rid of parasites. The parasites take up water so quickly in a FW bath that they simply explode, obviously this should be a short bath as it can have the same effect on the fish after a while.

Jon

Hi,
Should I add salt to my tank? It has been established for about a year now, and i havent had any problems :D . Should I add some salt anyway? Will my fish be happier? :fish:

Sydney

sydney

to put it simple
if it ain't broken, don't fix it

i wouldn't try to medicate a tank if there is no disease.
Some people swear by salt but i don't
i've given fish salt baths and if my entire stock were to get some sort of infection like fungus, i would probably dose the whole tank, but never as a precaution

No I wouldn't keep salt in the tank, only use it when needed.

It helps with certain deseases and parasites in the tank, thats only when I would use salt, good article wolf.

could someone convert this for us rebellious U.S. folks who use stuff like gallons and teaspoons?

I need help asap - archie's waiting...
thx

hi there bettamomma, it is all in the post :p

1-3 grams per litre [(1-3 ppm (0.16 - 0.48 oz per Imperial gall) or (0.13-0.4 oz per US gall].

[10 - 30 ppm - 1-3%) (1 - 4.7 oz per gall UK) or (1.3 – 4.0 oz per US gall].

In freshwater systems a long way from the coast, the water is salt free, zero salt. Adding salt is a stress factor.

Salt is a pollutant, and raises the biochemical activities necessary within the fishes body to maintain it's electrolyte balance. This puts extra workloads on internal organs, especially the kidney. Tolerance to salt varies, but salt will cause freshwater fish evolved in a salt free environment to die earlier then they other wise would. The kidney simply wears out quicker.

Salt certainly may have uses in a hospital setup, but in my opinion, should never be routinely added for no reason.

Obviously, fish that are naturally brackish of from delta/coastal environments are different, they evolved with traces of salt and their internal organs are further developed to cope with it.

Remember also that salt for the table often has other chemicals added to it. If you choose to medicate with salt, use a pure rock salt or special salt for aquarium use.

Thank you Wolf once again you've come to my rescue :)
*ahem mods please pin* :whistle:

... BUT, I was just wondering whether the sudden extreme change in osmotic pressure would be harmful to the fish? I've heard of a salt bath but have been too darned scared to use it. *chook chook* Isn't that why if you want to change parameters (eg. SG, pH, etc...) of the water you do it gradually??

I'm so lost when dealing with ppm, can you convert to SG please? Or direct me to a site where I can convert?

_fish_a_holic_ said:
Thank you Wolf once again you've come to my rescue :)
*ahem mods please pin* :whistle:

... BUT, I was just wondering whether the sudden extreme change in osmotic pressure would be harmful to the fish? I've heard of a salt bath but have been too darned scared to use it. *chook chook* Isn't that why if you want to change parameters (eg. SG, pH, etc...) of the water you do it gradually??

I'm so lost when dealing with ppm, can you convert to SG please? Or direct me to a site where I can convert?
thanks _fish_a_holic_ :D
but what do you mean by SG?
salinity gradient :dunno:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back