Salsa

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Miss Wiggle

Practically perfect in every way
Reaction score
any got a quick easy recipie for a nice salsa?

having salmon tonight and i think a nice little salsa with it would be lovely but i've neveer made it myself before :good:

well as it seems no one knows I'll post up what I made last night, was really tasty

i made salsa by chopping up a tomato, half a pepper, half a small green chilli and a small red onion, all chopped into rough cubes about half a cm, stick them in a bowl and squeeze over the juice of 1 lime, splash of olive oil, loads of salt and pepper and some fresh basil leaves. Mixed it all together and hey presto really tasty salsa.

also cooked the salmon fillets by putting the juice of 1 lime into the pan with a splash of olive oil and tonnes of black pepper, fried off the salmon in it on a high heat for about 3-5 mins on either side.

served this with some crushed potato's, green beens and the salsa on top of everything, was a really really tasy dinner, very fresh and light and relatively healthy :nod:

well as it seems no one knows I'll post up what I made last night, was really tasty

i made salsa by chopping up a tomato, half a pepper, half a small green chilli and a small red onion, all chopped into rough cubes about half a cm, stick them in a bowl and squeeze over the juice of 1 lime, splash of olive oil, loads of salt and pepper and some fresh basil leaves. Mixed it all together and hey presto really tasty salsa.

also cooked the salmon fillets by putting the juice of 1 lime into the pan with a splash of olive oil and tonnes of black pepper, fried off the salmon in it on a high heat for about 3-5 mins on either side.

served this with some crushed potato's, green beens and the salsa on top of everything, was a really really tasy dinner, very fresh and light and relatively healthy :nod:

This makes me cringe, not because it horrible becuase the sauce you made sounds lovely, but is more suited for something like Tacos.

Salmon has delicate flavour and has a delicate flesh and requires a sauce that does not spoil its natural flavour. cooking for 3-5 mins each side seem exsessive to me, it normally only requires 2-3 mins.

I am not knocking your cooking, you obviously enjoyed it but i prefer Salmon with a dill or hollandaise sauce :)

:lol:

you clearly don't understand the subtleties of a nicely made light citrus sauce then! :p

this sort of salsa isn't like the jarred stuff you get with your packet of taco's you know.

I'm on a diet so rich creamy sauces are out, just give it a try, bet you'd like it!

might have been closer to 3 mins..... just a rough idea!

:lol:

you clearly don't understand the subtleties of a nicely made light citrus sauce then! :p

this sort of salsa isn't like the jarred stuff you get with your packet of taco's you know.

I'm on a diet so rich creamy sauces are out, just give it a try, bet you'd like it!

might have been closer to 3 mins..... just a rough idea!

Juice of 1 lime, olive oil and TONS of black pepper is not subtle.

I have no doubt you enjoyed it and being on a diet your right, rich butter sauces would not have been suitable but i am an old school chef and prefer classic recipes. albeit i do like to experiement too.

well clearly it wasn't literally tonns...... just a good amount. Wasn't smothered in it, but some people just grind the pepper mill once and think that's enough..... can't even taste it like that. :p

It was just enough that the salmon was infused with the citrusy lime juice, no more overpowered than if you'd squeezed a lemon over the fillet after cooking which is a classic way to have salmon. Just nice to have lime instead of lemon.... little bit different.

anyhoo i did think that you were talking about the salsa being overpowering not what i cooked the salmon in. :rolleyes:

I do agree though mate, I love traditional home cooking, good quality food cooked nicely and generally quite rich creamy sauces..... probably why i need a diet in the first place :rolleyes: :lol:

well clearly it wasn't literally tonns...... just a good amount. Wasn't smothered in it, but some people just grind the pepper mill once and think that's enough..... can't even taste it like that. :p

It was just enough that the salmon was infused with the citrusy lime juice, no more overpowered than if you'd squeezed a lemon over the fillet after cooking which is a classic way to have salmon. Just nice to have lime instead of lemon.... little bit different.

anyhoo i did think that you were talking about the salsa being overpowering not what i cooked the salmon in. :rolleyes:

I do agree though mate, I love traditional home cooking, good quality food cooked nicely and generally quite rich creamy sauces..... probably why i need a diet in the first place :rolleyes: :lol:

See we are talking about my first passion, i'm on my best behaviour in here.

When i lived in canada we used to fish for salmon and trout and we would take them back to the campsite gut and clean them put them in tin foil with some thick slices of lemon, salt, and stuffed with sprigs of fresh dill and throw them on the BBQ for a few mins....amazing the difference fresh fish tastes to the frozen crap you get in the super markets over here.

oh yeah, i wish we could get decent fresh fish over here but being so far away from the coast we struggle!

but i can def agree based on my experiences with meat, when i got together with my other half a few years back his mum showed me a farm butchers and we get all our meat from there now, the difference in taste from good quality, un processed, well looked after meat compared to what you get in the supermarket is just immense.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back