Sailfin mollies acting up

bigfish

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I bought 2 female Sailfin Mollies and a male Sailfin Molly 3 days ago and now i just noticed that 1 of my female mollies is laying in the straight valais not doing much just flapping her fins.

Is she resting or is there something wrong with her?

I'm not familar with Sailfin breed but i have kept the normal mollies. they were all eating well this morning and acting normal until now sometimes she hides behind the monapi wood i bought yesterday along with the male?

She is a marble sailfin molly.

Any body have any ideas?

:sad: don't want to lose her

do a water change and add sum salt, she could be haveing babys, is she prego?
if not just add the salt after a water change.

i would do a 1/4 water change and add a teasepoon of salt per 2gs

Have to be careful with the salt, scaleless fish can be eat up by it...pleco's and cory cats, I do not use any salt cause of my pleco's and cat fish...

I can't use salt as i have tetras and cories. The female concerned died that night and the beautiful male died last night.

Im soooo gutted i went back to the shop where i bought them and i took along a sample of tank water for them to test.

Only tested for NITRITE (Result was between 0 and 0.5 it was barely pink) And PH (Which was 8.0 on his testkit but mine read 7.4)

He said my PH was all wrong for keeping Sailfin Mollies they shud be kept in 6.5 to 7 PH value.

Is he correct? as i just read a txt book to see that they can live in PH values of 7.5 to 8.5

My ph reading for all 4 molly tanks is7.0 and one reads at 7.2 and it has always read at that level

Mollies, African cichlids from Lake Malawi and Tangynika
7.6 to 8.6 pH, high GH
This is what is on web for mollies

Thats wot i thought. He sed i shud lower my Ph with this powder but wouldn't that stress the remaining of my tank residents. They have been living in a PH of 7.4 since day 1 and have never suffered.

The remain Sailfin Molly seems happy enough, they were kept in the tank of 6.5 to 7.0 so the guy told me today.

I used to keep mollies years ago in this pH with no trouble until ICH struck and Wipped them out.

Is it worth getting more mollies but from a different shop?

Bigfish--if you can't have salt, don't keep Sail-fins. Mine always kept on dying on me too when I had them, but that was because I didn't do my research. Now that I have, I found out what I was doing wrong--I didn't have enough salt. They like around 2 tsp. of salt PER GALLON. That's a lot. But they'll keep dying without it. It's also a good idea to add just enough Methylene Blue to faintly tint the water.

Most reactions

Back