Sad Story But Happy Ending!

xx-miss-limber-xx

Fish Fanatic
Joined
May 4, 2009
Messages
71
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Essex
Hello all,

Il start at the beginning... will make it easier lol

Firstly, i bought a tropical aquarium from pets at home in chelmsford. I have had this running since Xmas, and have a basicly fully stocked tank which I was really chuffed with :)

....Up until last week.

After returning from the cinema I went to feed the fish, only to find that the heater had malfunctioned and they had all boiled to death. The water was so hott I could barely dip my finger in it without it burning. :( poor fishies...

So I contacted Pets at home via email and they told me they would get back to me.... They didnt. So I rang the Chelmsford store.

Firstly they asked me what I would like THEM to do about it. I said I wanted compensation for the loss of my beautiful fish. Then they advised me that they could replace my fish if i came down and picked out new ones from them.

I told them that the only ever fish I bought from them were in such poor condition that they all died within three days and that all my fish were from a very good fish shop about a 40 mins drive from my local town. They even knew which fish shop I was talking about because obviously even though it is so far away, they must be in strong competition with them because they are by far the best LFS for miles.

So after much deliberation they finally gave up and told me if I went and bought the fish from the other fish shop and brought them reciepts then they would refund me. (woohooo)

Only problem is some of the fish were...not rare as such... but they dont get them in often...

Also, because my tank has been 'out of action' without a heater .. and i turned the filter off im going to have to cycle the tank again... which is sooo annoying and LONG.

So pets at home have agreed that it will take time for me to sort my aquarium out again, get it cycled and il have to add fish slowely.... and have agreed to give me the time to do it properly.

Soooooo I contacted the LFS I go to, and told them the story and they agreed to help me re-stock my tank (using pets at homes money lol).

Im jus worried that P@H will forget the deal they made with me and il be back to square one. Im a nursing student, I literally am skint, and keeping fish (a love of mine) took alot of my time and money. So I cant afford for pets at home to forget really.

Also, the fish I kept in my last aquarium... were semi agressive (such as cichilds) and I couldnt really keep a variety of fish... in my new tank I was thinking of getting different fish... although I had a golden nugget pleco which I am defo getting another one of... it was my fav. and so beautiful.

Anyone have any ideas on which fish to get? I have a 85 litre planted tank... with a sunken ship and a cave that the fish liked to swim in and out of and hide in.

I like colourful fish, not really into guppies etc, I had fish like a yellow lab, an electric blue something and tiger barbs, as all are interesting patterns and colours...

any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :D

Thankyou. x
 
You've done well to get that out of them - I would expect them to say tough luck!

I'd get it in writing though as they could quickly deny all knowledge, or the person you have been speaking to could quickly disappear
 
Sorry to hear you lost your fishes. :sad:

I hope p@h will keep their promise and good luck with setting up again :good:

I'm not mush good with fish stocking,still a newbie to that,so i'll leave it to others.

Good luck :good:
 
Why on earth did P@H give you compensation?
They didn't make the heater :S



I dont know. I initally said to them, i didnt know who to call because technically it was the heater that malfunctioned, but he asked what aquarium it was and I assume its a pets at home brand or something, because when i tried to look it up on the internet none of the retailers sold them heaters :S

Im actually quite amazed theyre being so cooperative!
 
i would go to the store and get in writing what they told you over the phone as they'll say whatever you want just to hang up. I've had to deal with this for a couch and a TV stand.
 
wow....i would be well and truely gutted, good to hear your getting it sorted though!
 
definatley get back in there remind them who you are and that you would like written confirmation of the agreement
im pretty sure that about a yr ago when i had a problem a manager at the store told me he had authority for up to £100 compensation, higher than that it goes to the area manager,
i dont think it would be un reasonable for them to give you the money and let you stock at your own pace, do u have photographic proof of the stae of the fish etc? but i dont think that matters anyway, just cos they didnt make the heater dosent make then less responsible,they did sell it to you.
they didnt make my fluval stand either but offered a refund, but exchanged when i chose the option,and had any fish suffered during the swap over i would have asked for compo for that too..

good luck hun, let us know how you get on, but get onto it ASAP so that its still fresh in there minds :)
 
Yeah, because they can send the faulty item back to the manufacturer and they will then be reimbursed. Also, they will probably claim the money back that they gave you to restock from the manufacturer. No real loss to them. And they will hopefully gain a loyal customer. So from their point of view its a good thing.
 
Thanks for all your replies :)

Shelagh nice to hear from you again, its been a while (since I fist got my tank when you gave me some advice before)

Have been to Pets at home. Given them a list of fish I am going to be getting. Told them it will be a matter of months before I could possibly stock all the fish on the list. They agreed and told me they expected it would take a while.

I also gave them the name of a fish ive been dying to get hold of for agggges now and asked if they could get it for me (ive looked everywhere!) - A golden Nugget Pleco :D and they said they will get me one in :) (only fish I will be getting from them as theyre fish are generally in poor condition and go on sale the days they get them shipped in which is appauling.)

So Im a happy bunny once again. Ive purchased Bactinettes live bacteria stuff... I decided to completely restart my tank after the heater fiasco and therefore need to cycle the tank again (booorrriinnngg) Has anyone tried this? Ive heard it helps, but dosnt do what it says on the can (that you can stock fish straight away! - and I wouldnt want to try that either) but I thought it cant do the cycling process any harm (i hope). Any opinions on this stuff?

Thanks again for the replies. xxx
 
They really must be trying hard to keep customers happy. I'd be very surprised if the liability of the shop (or the manufacturer) extended to livestock. I know the pump for my pond is very clear to state, that no compensation will be given above and beyond the product itself. I'm not sure how the law lies on this.
 
Just make sure you keep a log of when & who you spoke to, theyve done this to me once before, A product of theirs killed the inhabitants of my oscar tank, they promised to give me the full amount. Three months later they said they had sent Vouchers to the value we agree'd. A week later I recieved the vouchers. A whole 3x£5 vouchers!
That was not the amount they said they would give me, so I kicked up a fuss and they are denying all discussion of it all!!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top