rust color algae????

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

mommacakes

Reaction score
sad: :sick: :dunno:

I'm not sure if what I have is algae or not, but it is starting to cover the gravel and moving up the glass. It is a rust color and growing like algae. The ammonia level is on the high side, nitrates are ok, but ph is slightly high. I have done a water change and I'm ready to do another, but I don't know what this crap is or how to get rid of it.

Please help!!!!!!

mommacakes

is it a brown colored algae? if so one of the reasons for the growth is too little light. leave your tank light on for atleast 8 hours.

do you have plants in the tank?

Thats helpful Semper_Fi, thanks.....

My tank is undergoing a course of meds that requires low light as to not stress the fish. Within this timespan rusty colored algae had been growing under the gravel - on the glass at the Front of the tank, only the front.

Il keep the light on longer :) ! As should you mammacakes!!

I got the same problem on my tank. If U got algae eaters, they will take care of most of it. The added light will take care of almost the rest. If you don't have algae eaters, you're stuck scrubbing like me.

I have the same thing in my goldfish tank. It usually occurs in newer tanks. I had it in my 55 gallon a few months ago and it went away on its own once thing established themselves out.

Its actually diatoms and not algae. Leaving the lights on more will help but then you might get a bacteria bloom in your water. The best thing to do is either wait it out or go shopping for some ottos which love the stuff. (of course that is if you tank can handle the extra waste.)

Thanks for the info, I will leave the light on and see how it goes. I do have an algea eater, but it might be more than it can handle.
Is a water change going to help any?

mommacakes :unsure:

I think a water change will help a little but it sounds like you are going to have do alot of scrubbing too to clean this stuff away.
Otos are really good at getting rid of this stuff.
The info on here is really good and I have a friend who has a cold water tank which also has this stuff in it, I will tell her to put the light on for a little longer than she is doing and to scrub the inside walls of the tank with one of those magnet things.

I will try scrubing the tank, but what about the rocks, they are more covered with this stuff that the glass is. Do I need to remove the top layer, or will a vaccum help any?

mommacakes

I currently have 1-betta, 1-female molly, 1-upside-down cat, 1-algea eater, 3-neon tetra and 3-danos. Can I add an otto to this mix to help with this algea, and will everyone get along. So far only the betta & molly have had to stand there ground in the tank.
but if an oto will help i will certianly be willing to add one, or is two needed?
what does anyone suggest?

mommacakes

The way I deal with it is, first i scrub the walls of the aquarium, then I vaccumn the bottom and change the water. Its all over my gravel and my plants in my 20 gallon. I don't worry about scrubbing the plants or rocks or decorative pots that I have in the tank. After leaving your light on for 12 hours a day for a week you will start to notice that the diatoms are not returning to the glass and slowly disappearing on the ornaments. It took about 3 weeks for it to completely disappear in my 55 gallon a few months back and it is just starting to disappear in my 20 gallon at the momment.

The algae eater you have probably doesn't like the stuff. Most algae eaters will only eat the green stuff except the ottos. I feel you have enough room to put 2 ottos in your tank if you do not want to wait for it to clear up on its own. I would have done it in a second but my 20 gallon is coldwater and they prefer warmer temps. And for my 55 gallon I would have had to get about 10 of them to be able to deal with all of it when i had it in there.

So you can either be patient or you can get some ottos. Thats your call! :D

Thanks Nina7777
:) :) :)
I appreciate the info. I did a water change, scrubbed the glass and vacuumed the rocks which seemed to help. I even left the light on for up to 18 hours a day for two days then cut it back to 16 hours, which is about normal due to my work schedule. I have not noticed any new growth since then.
I want to thank everyone out there for the input, it really helped my situation. :D :D

mommacakes

Most reactions

Back