Rummy nose tetra shoaling habits

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Vibrant Tetra

Reaction score
Hi everybody, I recently bought 6 rummy nose tetras for my new tank. I put them in they settled in well. I've noticed that 1 tetra is continually separating from the shoal and just darting around the filter area. The fish of concern looks healthy. Is it a problem that it's not with the shoal?

A photo of the fish of concern. The fish 🐟 is in the top left of the picture.

Attachments

• IMG_20210719_153304.jpg
    IMG_20210719_153304.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 37
I cannot see anything from that photo. The individual fish may or may not have a problem...could be internal injury from being netted, or something else.

I would strongly suggest you get another six rummys. I've no info on the tank size, so I hope it is sufficient--one thing is length, a 30-inch/75cm length tank is minimum for this species as it does like to swim end to end a lot, 36-inch/90cm would be preferable as minimum. But this species does much better (health) in larger groups, and 12 is about minimum. I had 21 in my 4-foot tank for years; I gave them to another aquarist when I moved because I could not have the 4-foot tank just smaller tanks, and I miss them, they are one of my favourite characins.

Welcome to the forum.

You mention that this is a "new" tank, how long has it been set up? Is it cycled?

What size is the tank?

Thanks for your welcome.

the tank has been cycled for 3 weeks. I put them in after checking the water quality is apt.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back