Rope fish doing great!

Oh, we are not at the chin scratching stage yet. That will be a ways down the road. I was speaking from past experience with the critters. Actually the touching comes fairly easy once hand feeding.

The rope, Clyde, is about 8 inches long. The tank is 20 gallons.
Ahhh ok.
What tank size will you be upgrading him to? Or can they be in a 20g all their life? Seems small for an 8in fish though

Actually I have gotten a little bit of conflict as to having my rope in my tank size. One sure sign of a fish having stress is fin clamping. A rope does not really have a solid dorsal fin but, rather a series of small ridges before the tail. If the rope was in any way stressed these ridges would not show being clamped flat. I sort of wonder how many of the naysayers have actually kept a rope... My first was in the mid 1980s. There is MUCH miss-information about this fish! For instance, if you do a casual search search you will find that they get to a length of 15-20 inches and larger. The thing is that this size is in the wild. In a tank they just do not do this. A close friend of mine has also kept ropes in a tank of 175 gallons. I have kept in 30-75 gallon tanks. Neither of us have ever seen one get larger than 10 inches.

If my rope gets to the max. size of ten inches that I've seen in the past he will be just fine in my tank.

As to my saying dorsal ridges showing stress here is an example. Not a good picture but shows ridges before the tail. If the fish was experiencing any type of stress these ridges would not show as they would be clamped. This is just NOT a fish that matches the fish size / water volume normal rules. Sigh, for starters they have lungs along with their gills...

Not a good photo but does show some erect dorsal ridges which is a major sign of there not being any stress issue...
IMG_2472.JPG

I don't understand boyfriends...... I'd rather talk to a parrot.

Seriously though I would rather live with an animal than a human.

(this may be because I am home educated though)
Nothing wrong with that... Some people live very long and happy single lives.
I guess it all depends on who you run into in life. You may think that animals are better than humans and that you want to live all alone, but then meet that one person you actually really really love.
Or maybe you don't meet anyone who you love and decide that you want to stay single forever.

(Ps: A lot of animals are better than humans 😂)

I don't understand boyfriends...... I'd rather talk to a parrot.

Seriously though I would rather live with an animal than a human.

(this may be because I am home educated though)
It is very simple.....an animal gives and receives unconditional love

Whereas a bloke there is ALWAYS a price tag attached to whatever you do to or for them

(I would imagine that blokes see girlfriends in the same way sometimes....the pricetag thing...not the unconditional thing)

I guess it all depends on who you run into in life. You may think that animals are better than humans and that you want to live all alone, but then meet that one person you actually really really love.
Or maybe you don't meet anyone who you love and decide that you want to stay single forever.

*cough* you were very insistent the other day about threads not being taken off topic or hijacked, but here you are, doing the same to someone else's thread... again...

I don't wan't to stay single forever!!!! 😭

We got the OP's permission! Thanks Jay 😅

Most reactions

Back