Room For More Fish?

gaz gun man

Fish Addict
Joined
Mar 31, 2008
Messages
943
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Kent, UK
Just thinking out loud here (and asking for your opinions)

Is there any more room for fish in my tank? I was thinking maybe a shoal of Cardinal Tetras, or maybe a Bistlenose plec and a few oto's?

Tank has been set-up for a year, its a Fluval 125 litre, so around 100 Litres of water.

Current stocking is: 6 Cories, 10 scissortail rasboras, 4 zebra danios and a female pearl gourami

Filtration is a Fluval 205 external, and a Rena i1 internal.

maintence is a 20-25% water change once a week, along with a gravel vac once a week.

Thanks in advance. :good:
 
I'd be more inclined towards a bottom dwelling fish. It's one thing if you can maintain the water quality, it's quite another if the tank becomes overcrowded in any one section. Think of your aquarium being split into top middle and bottom. A well balanced aquarium makes best use of each space (in my opinion).
 
I've got the cories which hang around on the gravel, the scissortails seem to hover just above, and the gourami just above them at the top of the tank. The Danios are typical danios :D

I'd like some cardinals to add some colour to the tank, but if I cant fit them in then a few oto's and/or bristlenose(s) to keep the algae down.

I havent researched any fish yet, just want to see if I have any room first really.
 
I have been disappointed with my cardinals / neons but I intend to increase from the 9 I have now to about 12 or so.

I just got a pair of black phantoms which I think are lovely, I imagine they would look lovely in a larger shoal. Also intend to get a couple of endlers soon.

How about a small group of hatchets for surface swimmers?

Otherwise I am like you in that I am not sure where I am headed lol - just too much choice not enough space!
 


Kind of hard to explain really. one reason is I never liked the look of cardinals compared to neons (I know I am in the minority!), but as I was under the impression they school more than neons I thought I would go with them. All they seem to have done is dispersed round the tank lol! Have to say they were behaving beautifully for the first four days or so patrolling the tank in a huge shool. Looked like the mini red arrows lol!
They do occasionally school now you tend to notice in the morning before lights on (looks quite nice electric blue dashes lit up by led moonlight) but generally they only get together when stressed or at food time.

I guess I am a little disappointing really as I have dedicated a lot of tank to them and sometimes wish I had gone for rasporas or something similar.
 
i would increase the number of danios if i was you - they will become more and more relaxed and playful the greater their numbers
maybe up them to 8 or 10
 
i would increase the number of danios if i was you - they will become more and more relaxed and playful the greater their numbers
maybe up them to 8 or 10


I had 10 of them to begin with, but they died one by one. I dont know why.
I dont want any more tbh
 

Most reactions

Back
Top