Rocks... Id Please!

dan290888

New Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2009
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Kent/Essex
I won some very cheap gravel on ebay and when I went to collect he chucked in some Rocks...

Just wondering what they are? I think the top 3 are ocean rock but no idea on the others?
Also are they safe for use in an aquarium?

Not a great pic as its off my phone :blush:

Photo0031.jpg


Thanks :good:

Dan
 
The one on the right looks like petrified wood :S
Left is milky quartz or uncut marble, hard to tell from the picture - either way it will scratch your tank with ease.
Middle front looks like some form of sedimentary rock the picture. I wouldn't put it in a tank.

Back three, no idea, some form of ocean volcanic rock by the looks of things.
 
thanks for the reply... the one on the right is definately a rock but looks kind of metally (is that even a word?)

ill try and get some better individual pics tonight...
 
1) petrified wood
2) looks like slate
3) marble/ quartz
4) ocean rock
The one on the right looks like petrified wood :S
Left is milky quartz or uncut marble, hard to tell from the picture - either way it will scratch your tank with ease.
Middle front looks like some form of sedimentary rock the picture. I wouldn't put it in a tank.

Back three, no idea, some form of ocean volcanic rock by the looks of things.
:P

Petrified wood is fine in an aquarium, quartz is fine, so is marble. If that is slate then it's fine but it looks sort of rough and crumbly. If you can get dust off it by rubbing it, don't put it in.

Try putting vinegar on all of the rocks. If it reacts at all then that rock isn't suitable for the aquarium. I would say this is the most important for the ocean rock.
 
1) petrified wood
2) looks like slate
3) marble/ quartz
4) ocean rock
The one on the right looks like petrified wood :S
Left is milky quartz or uncut marble, hard to tell from the picture - either way it will scratch your tank with ease.
Middle front looks like some form of sedimentary rock the picture. I wouldn't put it in a tank.

Back three, no idea, some form of ocean volcanic rock by the looks of things.
:P

Petrified wood is fine in an aquarium, quartz is fine, so is marble. If that is slate then it's fine but it looks sort of rough and crumbly. If you can get dust off it by rubbing it, don't put it in.

Try putting vinegar on all of the rocks. If it reacts at all then that rock isn't suitable for the aquarium. I would say this is the most important for the ocean rock.

Thanks!

I have just got a load more ocean rock with another tank I got recently, i will do the vinegar test...

providing it passes the vinegar test is it safe to use in a 3ft tank with 2 goldfish? Doesnt Ocean rock mess with the PH?

thanks

Dan
 
1) petrified wood
2) looks like slate
3) marble/ quartz
4) ocean rock
The one on the right looks like petrified wood :S
Left is milky quartz or uncut marble, hard to tell from the picture - either way it will scratch your tank with ease.
Middle front looks like some form of sedimentary rock the picture. I wouldn't put it in a tank.

Back three, no idea, some form of ocean volcanic rock by the looks of things.
:P

Petrified wood is fine in an aquarium, quartz is fine, so is marble. If that is slate then it's fine but it looks sort of rough and crumbly. If you can get dust off it by rubbing it, don't put it in.

Try putting vinegar on all of the rocks. If it reacts at all then that rock isn't suitable for the aquarium. I would say this is the most important for the ocean rock.

Thanks!

I have just got a load more ocean rock with another tank I got recently, i will do the vinegar test...

providing it passes the vinegar test is it safe to use in a 3ft tank with 2 goldfish? Doesnt Ocean rock mess with the PH?

thanks

Dan
Test your tap water PH, put the rock in a bucket with water, wait a week or something then check the PH again.
If it passes the vinegar test and it doesn't affect the PH then it's safe for the aquarium :D

Oh, and it will affect the PH, just if it changes it by a significant amount I wouldn't put it in.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top