Rocks And Maintenance

celaeno

Arkangel
Joined
Apr 5, 2006
Messages
1,217
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
NY, USA
around 2 weeks ago, i put a rock formation into my tank. today, i decided to take it out piece by piece. i was surprised at how much decayed food and waste had accumulated in the narrow spaces between the rocks.

this makes me worry about nitrate build-up. should i take apart my rock formation every 2 weeks so the stuff can get sucked up by the filter? how do people with mbuna tanks manage? (i'm sure glad i didn't silicone the rocks together..)
 
More current around the rocks would help (think powerhead). When I had my mbuna tank, about once a month when doing a water change, first I'd remove a quarter of the tank water. Then I'd spray between the rocks (I used a python for water changes), then finish my water change like normal. I usually changed 40-50% of the water.

If you don't use a python (or something similar), you can use a turkey baster and a regular gravel vac. :good:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top