Ro Water

lilacamy931

Starting again
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
3,475
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Location
Bournemouth, UK
We have recently got a RO unit as my parnter is going marine soon. Our water is pretty hard wih a PH8. I have cories, angels and lace/pearl gouramis. I would like to breed the cories that I have and read that they prefer softer more neutral water. When doing 20% water changes would it be beneficial to have a mix of RO water into the water changes?

The main thing I am worried about is PH shock etc..Any tips or advice on what I should do would be really appreciated :good:

Thanks for reading and any help xx
 
ive recently started the same thing - gradually adding more RO in each water change till i get to about 50/50 normal and RO just to soften the water and bring the pH down - mine is fairly high like your lilacamy
 
If you don't do anything to change the mineral content of the water too quickly, the fish should be fine, provided they are suited to the low mineral content to start with. What we often think of as pH shock is really a shock from rapid changes in mineral content. People think pH is the culprit because a high pH is often associated with a high mineral content in the water and vice versa.
 
Yer everything is fine so far lilcamy just doing it really gradually no rush for it. And as oldman47 said should be fine if it's gradual. Good luck!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top