River Pond Setup?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Malex530

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Before we get to discussing I have a river that leads to a pond that is about 150 gallons. The river part is about 4 inches deep, with rocks that have algae. The pond has lots of plants in thick patches. I have most plants around the edges and corners. I have rocks in the middle of the pond. The pond currently has 5 breeding Pygmy sunfish 2 males 3 females. The river looks really nice but I wanted a new addition that will just live in the river. I thought of hill stream loaches since they are the only fish that could live in those kind of conditions. Would hill stream loaches be able to live in 4 inches of water? Every website I check says yes and no but these are like the natural conditions they live in am I right? But just making sure thanks!!!!

I personally wouldn't put any fish in a pond that is connected to a river. 
Pesticides and many other poisonous things could be in the water way (depending on where you live).
Also, if the fish ever breed, the fry will get washed into the water ways and, depending on the species, could take over (been reports of this in New Zealand - the reason why Koi are banned in NZ).

But, yes a Hill Stream Loach could live in 4 inches of water.

Is this a natural stream or did you make it? Just interested. How do you prevent the pond from overflowing? Sounds neat! Sorry, I have no advice but I would love to see pictures!

O I'm sorry for the lack of info I made the stream and ill take pics as soon as I get the fish in! I use two pumps to get the water flowing fast enough and to keep it from overflowing.

If your steam/pond is self contained and doesn't connect with any natural water, I don't see why it wouldn't work. 

I do wonder if they won't all end up in the pond though! Oh, and you should have some calmer spots/little pools in the river for the hilstreams to get out of the main flow if they want to; if you've looked at their natural habitat, you'll know it has those
smile.png

Would also love to see pics; it sounds epic!

Oh, so its not actually connected to a free flowing stream? Its self contained?

I would like to see pics too. It sounds really neat and relaxing to sit by! how long is the river part of it?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back