Rice grain like growths on angel

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Papabravo

Reaction score
One of my angels has suddenly developed small rice grain like growths protruding from skin around its face , only appeared today I think, doesn’t look like ich. Any ideas?
Tried to take pics
68EA6246-8A09-4E43-9CC2-ABAD2142AEC7.jpeg
68EA6246-8A09-4E43-9CC2-ABAD2142AEC7.jpeg

Attachments

• 9C8171BE-5B78-49F2-9B8E-B679EAB1C16B.jpeg
    9C8171BE-5B78-49F2-9B8E-B679EAB1C16B.jpeg
    753.4 KB · Views: 70
Unfortunately I do not think there is a cure for this virus, it will usually spread to the rest of the fish and it could die from secondary bacterial infections. The best way to “treat” the fish is to keep your water quality immaculate, keep up consistant water changes and regularly test your water. Although your other fish may not show visible signs of the virus, they probably already have it. Removing the fish with obvious symptoms could help. You just have to let the virus run it’s course and hopefully your fish will make it through.

Sorry, I know its not a proper thing to do here... but how long does it take to do its stuff?

Does fish scratch when they get it? I believe that my swordtail has it but no ther fish.. I'll make a thread tho... :p

I believe it won't spread to others.. mine hasn't spread.. yet..
They probably do scratch but i’m not sure, I certainly would if I was covered in white lumps. :S

Sorry, I know its not a proper thing to do here... but how long does it take to do its stuff?
It can last about 6 weeks in tropical fish. It may cause secondary bacterial problems which could kill off the fish so it does depend on the situation, but the virus can last 6 weeks.

Thanks, never come across it before in 20 years! Where does it come from? Hopefully he will recover, he is often arguing with the other angel but for quite a while and tends to give as good as he gets. New zebra nerite snails recently and a siamese fox.

Thanks, never come across it before in 20 years! Where does it come from? Hopefully he will recover, he is often arguing with the other angel but for quite a while and tends to give as good as he gets. New zebra nerite snails recently and a siamese fox.
It might come from stress and bad water quality... poor fish :(

It might come from stress and bad water quality... poor fish :(
Yeah i’m pretty certain this is the cause. It causes cells to become enlarged. It doesn’t effect the fishes health in general but can cause cuts and disfigurement.

Yeah i’m pretty certain this is the cause. It causes cells to become enlarged. It doesn’t effect the fishes health in general but can cause cuts and disfigurement.
So its not deadly? Or is it usually deadly?
I did make a thread about it and attached couple of photos that could help.
Just waiting for an answer.... impatiently..

So its not deadly? Or is it usually deadly?
I did make a thread about it and attached couple of photos that could help.
Just waiting for an answer.... impatiently..
It can be deadly, but as long as the fish is given good care (regular water changes and general water quality care) then it should pull through. It’s not the virus you need to worry about really, it’s the bacterial and fungal infections which can follow if water quality is not perfect.

It's hole in the head disease or head and lateral line disease, caused by Hexamita.

It's caused by keeping fish in dirty tanks with lots of rotting organic matter.

Treatment includes cleaning the tank conditions up and use Metronidazole.

---------------
Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for 2 weeks.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Wash filter media/ materials in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn.

Increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise the oxygen levels.

----------------
If there's no improvement after 2 weeks of water changes and gravel cleaning, then treat the tank with Metronidazole.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back