Revisiting the tropical fish world

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PJ357

Reaction score
Hi,
After several years I have bought a new small tank and started my tropical fish adventure. Unfortunately after about 6 months I felt confident to add live plants which did very well until I saw a bladder snail (yes I now know about inspecting and treating). This of course has led to many more. I have recently added an assassin snail which I'm not totally convinced is. I have added a picture. Would someone mind confirming. I'm enjoying the adventure even though it can be a steep learning curve. The plan is to get a larger tank but just want to master the basics first...

Attachments

• 20210626_194648.jpg
    20210626_194648.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 33
That doesn't look quite right for an assassin snail at that angle. Could you manage to find it and take another photo from the side, please.

Assassins usually have yellow and black stripes and they are usually shown having a 'trunk' protuding from the shell. The photo looks more like my black Malaysian trumpet snails.

This is the best I can do at the moment. If I can get a better one later will post. Thanks for coming back to me.

Attachments

• 20210710_125855.jpg
    20210710_125855.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 35
This might be better?

Attachments

• 20210710_134852.jpg
    20210710_134852.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 39
It's not an assassin or a malaysian trumpet snail. From this new photo I would say it's more like a rabbit/elephant/sulawesi snail. There are quite a few of these conical snails with quite a few common names, mostly in the genus Tylomelania.

Can I suggest doing a search for images of Tylomelania snails and see if any of them look like your snail.

Great, thanks for this. I have had a quick look and I think you're right. I will continue to fish out the bladder snails!

Also, make sure you don't over feed the fish - they need less food than you'd think. Any left over food will feed the pest snails, and they'll breed more. I have bladder snails and those tiny ramshorn pest snails in my tanks, and I make sure I don't over feed the fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back