Reverse Osmosis

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I'll go out on a limb here & say no. I do not usually advocate putting 'stuff' in the tank, but most of the dechlorinating products available are (although necessary) well designed...

If you're interested in such products...See here for a review of commercially available water conditioners:
http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/rev-cond.htm

Andy

No, but you do need to remineralise the water

The slime coat additives are usually just an irritant that causes the fish to produce a heavier slime coat in response. Providing your tank is healthy and you carry out maintenance on it then such additives are superfluous.

Deffinately not, as stated, you will need to reconstitute the water with something like RO Right, to replace some of the heavier minerals, as RO water is 'dead' water.

Not being a fan of putting treatment in water anyway, I generally never use dechlorinator, i find aerating your water for 24 hours will do the job so much better and cheaper with less risk to your fish.

The only other problem you get with RO is that it can Ph crash (unless you use a buffer..ugghh..another chemical) Unless your trying to breed your fish, or have really sensitive fish, I'd forget RO water, and just let your fish adapt to your own water supply.

As can be seen in my signature, I have disucs.

I plan to use about 40% city water and 60% ro water; should this be sufficiant "remineralization". I have city water KH = 90 GH = 180, with NO nasty stuff like nitrate etc....(Noncostal Canadian water is great...)

I do add co2, I am wondering about ph crashes as I am used to using 100% city water with KH=90; will KH=40 be high enough considering that I add co2.

Thanks much

Or:

CO2(ppm) = 3 x dKH x 10 ^ (7.0 - pH)

Remember that accurately measuring KH is notoriously difficult....

Andy

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back