Rescue Rats

franyjayne

Reaction score
Hi

I have been asked about rescuing some baby rats. I would like to get two girls. What size cage would they need? I have an old fish tank I could use that is 12 x 12 x 23 inches. I was thinking of using that as the base and building an "extention" out of wire. Is this suitable to keep them in?

Also, I have a cat (very lazy - won't chase a thing) and two small dogs. I would not leave them alone with each other. Does anyone have any experiance in keeping the two together?

thanks in advance!!

frany

Fish tanks are generally unsuitable for rats; they like to climb, and the ammonia concentration in the bedding and air builds too quickly. Overall, they end to develop respritory problems. Most ratkeepers buy a large ferret cage and fill it with hammocks and toys, since rats are extremely intelligent, active animals. You could build a cage topper, but it has to be absolutely secure, because rats are escape artists, and with two small dogs (which are usually rodent hunting breeds) and a cat in the house, that could be a disaster.
You're on the right track by getting two rats, as they are very social, but I'd do some real research (not in the form of forums - in the form of knowledgeable, reputable rattie webpages) on diet, housing, attention needs, etc. as it seems you are new to these guys. If you need some links, feel free to ask; I think I can dig up some good ones for you. :good:

Rats are pretty cool.. definitely put them in a cage... they really aren't good in fish tanks.

Realistically you could make one.... but the chinchilla / ferret type cages are good for them.. gives them a couple levels to jump up to and climb around.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back