Rescue Operation II - More Poor Little Puffers

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Good plan - I've renamed my house - Hippy Rescue Haven!!
Due to the number of fish I've rescued over the years. Although I'm now bringing them back to health and returning them as a job-type thing! I have to say...my main LFS is very good. It's the others that I worry about.

Hmm, I'm noticing a pattern with your visit to Seapets. I don't think I've been in since just after you got Cookie, but it was poor then and I doubt it's any much better...

Good news everyone!

The smaller, sicker puffer finally has been tempted by some bloodworm.
We're much more confident in his future now.

Touch wood.

That's awesome!
Keep us updated

DD

I just checked the time you posted that... :huh:

Please don't tell me you were up till 3:30 trying to get it to eat. I know there's not a great deal to do for you Suffolk folk (Though with this being the harvest season, surely it's all hands on Tractor/Combine) but this... :rofl:

;)

andywg said:

Please don't tell me you were up till 3:30 trying to get it to eat.
[snapback]870891[/snapback]​
I actually remember SirM posted this a while back : :lol: so he must be a night owl !

May 24 2005, 09:30 PM Post #15
The diurnal fish are fed at around 8 in the evening and the nocturnal fish get their dinner at around 5 in the morning, just before I switch off the lights and go to bed.

Everyone also gets snacks whenever I'm around.

bloozoo2 said:
andywg said:

Please don't tell me you were up till 3:30 trying to get it to eat.
[snapback]870891[/snapback]​
I actually remember SirM posted this a while back : :lol: so he must be a night owl !

May 24 2005, 09:30 PM Post #15 
The diurnal fish are fed at around 8 in the evening and the nocturnal fish get their dinner at around 5 in the morning, just before I switch off the lights and go to bed.

Everyone also gets snacks whenever I'm around.
[snapback]870907[/snapback]​

Ha ha ha.
Are you stalking us?

I work night shifts and graveyard shifts so even on my days off I'm still up in the wee small hours.

Today I tried the little one with a small earthworm and although he spat out his mouthful, he did show GREAT enthusiasm for attacking it. A very good sign I think.

I need to get some live bloodworm for him, I'm sure that'll get him going.

:rofl: :lol: I'm just very observant and have a good (uh fairly good) memory ;)

I am so glad they are doing better.
I was up till 6am with my ill fish last night and then up at 9am!! 3 hours - yay!!! It's all worth it...... I wouldn't have it any other way!

Got some live bloodworm for everyone today, the F8s got first dibs of course.

We placed the worms in an Algarde live worm feeder, a sort of cone thing with holes in that sticks to the glass and allows the worms to slowly find their way into the tank rather than just dumping them in all at once.

The bigger fish (we'll have to sort out names for them) wasted no time in stuffing his belly, but the smaller one took quite some time before he started showing any interest.
Finally though he started picking off the more wriggly worms and swallowing them down.
With only one eye, his hunter vision is seriously impared so he misses his target more often than he hits it, but I'm confident that if he survives he'll get used to the adjustment and be fine.
Who knows, his eye may even recover from the infection and give him full vision back!

Well done Sir M. Went to Seapets at Martlesham a couple of weeks ago ( had recieved gift vouchers for my birthday so stocked up on food, filter pads etc. ) & had a wander around the tanks. I can honestly say that there were more tanks containing dead fish than there were without. Quite a few fish looked ill as well. I dont know how the Colchester branch keeps going with Swallow just down the road.
good luck with the new puffers.

:fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish:

I used to get my fish from Seapets at Stanway years ago but they were all in such bad condition that i stopped :no: Glad to hear you are rescueing them

Well done :D

Some sad news everyone - the little one deteriorated overnight and was no longer with us by the morning. I found him sitting on the substrate yesterday, very dark and huffing like crazy with his caudal fin bent right round. It looked like he was shedding a thick white film on the back half of his body. I think the ich was moving onto the next stage of the lifecycle (breaking out of the skin) and he was just so covered in the stuff it was too much to take.

I applied some extra paragon to the tank and he briefly perked up. But when we awoke this morning he had passed away.

I'm absolutely heartbroken right now. I had developed a lot of affection for the little guy. If he had survived, I was going to name him Miracle. Looks like it was just not meant to be.... :sad:

On a brighter note, the other F8 still seems to be progressing well. He absolutely loves earthworms and right now is tucking into some brine shrimp. Yummy.

We have decided to name him Hope, btw.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back