Rescue a goldfish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Divinityinlove

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Someone in London on the next-door website is giving away a goldfish which was given to them and is unwanted. It's still in the jar, unsure how long. I plan to pick it up this evening after sundown due to heat wave...but I'm hoping I can find someone who has a goldfish tank with companions and ideal conditions and space for it. I'll put it in a spare tank and do water changes daily, but I don't have space to set up a proper tank with more companions for it of appropriate size.

If I'm allowed to ask on here then I'm asking if anyone can take a goldfish, if not... Suggestions where I can find a permanent home for it please?

Here is a screenshot of the photo they've got up. I've asked if they can put it in a bigger container but unsure if they have one.
Screenshot_20220718_151303.jpg

Someone in London on the next-door website is giving away a goldfish which was given to them and is unwanted. It's still in the jar, unsure how long. I plan to pick it up this evening after sundown due to heat wave...but I'm hoping I can find someone who has a goldfish tank with companions and ideal conditions and space for it. I'll put it in a spare tank and do water changes daily, but I don't have space to set up a proper tank with more companions for it of appropriate size.

If I'm allowed to ask on here then I'm asking if anyone can take a goldfish, if not... Suggestions where I can find a permanent home for it please?

Here is a screenshot of the photo they've got up. I've asked if they can put it in a bigger container but unsure if they have one. View attachment 163374
You're unsure if they have a bigger container? There's lots of stuff you can use as a temporary fish container. A bin would be the biggest, or a bucket, or a large bowl. If it's a common goldfish try to find someone with a pond, assuming the fish isn't stunted and will grow more. Common goldfish are related to koi, they're best living like them. Join an online fish keeping group in your area to see if anyone can take the fish. You can also take him to your local fish store, they tend to be better than chain pet stores because they focus solely on fish. But there can always be exceptions.

Thanks for taking him in until you can find a good home for him!!
If I were closer, I'd be happy to take him to add to my outdoor pond, looks like a typical pond goldfish rather than a fancy, so might be better off in a pond rather than an indoor tank anyhow. You could try putting an ad on gumtree or the fishkeeping groups on BAND looking for Londoners who could take him?

If I were closer, I'd be happy to take him to add to my outdoor pond, looks like a typical pond goldfish rather than a fancy, so might be better off in a pond rather than an indoor tank anyhow. You could try putting an ad on gumtree or the fishkeeping groups on BAND looking for Londoners who could take him?
I was thinking of putting up a pop up pond in my own garden. Perhaps perfect timing.. Need to research how they survive during winter as I hadn't began researching the koi yet, only the pond itself. My neighbour across the road has a pond so I'll enquire if she keeps fish... I only heard she has a pond days ago! Thanks for info!
You're unsure if they have a bigger container? There's lots of stuff you can use as a temporary fish container. A bin would be the biggest, or a bucket, or a large bowl. If it's a common goldfish try to find someone with a pond, assuming the fish isn't stunted and will grow more. Common goldfish are related to koi, they're best living like them. Join an online fish keeping group in your area to see if anyone can take the fish. You can also take him to your local fish store, they tend to be better than chain pet stores because they focus solely on fish. But there can always be exceptions.
Good point yes! I just had a feeling they wouldn't bother. He just told its been in the same water for a month which is half a jar's worth, he said this after I asked if it was in dechlorinated water.... He said he doesn't think anyone keeps fish in dechlorinatesd water...🤯😱 and that the water was what he came in from the owner... My god! He mentioned it is cloudy, I told him don't change the water, I'll bring dechlorinated water to transfer the fish before I head off with it 😥😰 he said it seems fine as its splashing around, I checked his video post... The thing is struggling like f*ck .. I'm heading off right now... Will think about rehoming once it is with me.

IMG_20220718_222231.jpg
he is in here for now. Neighbour across the road might have it in the pond which is good news! :) thats the gravel he came with in his jar.

View attachment 163388he is in here for now. Neighbour across the road might have it in the pond which is good news! :) thats the gravel he came with in his jar.
I imagine he already feels a lot better, having so much more space and much cleaner water!!

You did a really good deed, thank you! ❤️ Fingers crossed the neighbour takes him and can let you know how he's getting on :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back