Request for feedback on stocking for 8x4x22 (ft,ft,inch) aquarium build

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

anewbie

Fish Herder
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I've posted something similar a while ago and did some reading and refinements. This is my current thought on stocking but would like some feedback on those with expertise on some of these species as i've not kept most of them and sometime what you read doens't match reality:

Target water condition is TDS 50/GH 2/KH 1/Temp 78 winter/82 Summer/Ph whatever but probably high 6:

20 sterbai
14 urostriatum (these don't hang at the bottom)
7 festum
6 angels
8-12 geo mirabllis or neambi
30 Pyrrhulina spilot
Some random plecos (mostly 6 inch or smaller; L204, L397, L128, ...)

Thank you reading and be gentle !

Just Discus and some Cory's, add one big school of say Black Phantoms or Cardinals. The wonderful thing about fish like Black Phantoms, clown Killifish and Cory's is that they will continually spawn. I love my tank, based around this idea.

Just Discus and some Cory's, add one big school of say Black Phantoms or Cardinals. The wonderful thing about fish like Black Phantoms, clown Killifish and Cory's is that they will continually spawn. I love my tank, based around this idea.
But this is not a discus tank; it is a geo tank. That doesn't mean i can't mix discus and geo but since the temp will only be around 80 I think it would be a bit on the cool side for discus.

But this is not a discus tank; it is a geo tank. That doesn't mean i can't mix discus and geo but since the temp will only be around 80 I think it would be a bit on the cool side for discus.
My Discus are doing well under 80, I run my tank at around 78.

My Discus are doing well under 80, I run my tank at around 78.
How long have you had them; i would be concern about the long term impact - while they might be exposed to such temp for short period their native habit is considerably warmer and (can't find it now) but several long term discus breeders - i think jack walty was one of them - have indicated that under lower temps they can become more sensitive to issues. Having said that this is really off topic to the subject of this thread.

You can read my thread; I think that around Christmas I will have one pair spawning.

You will end up with a bigger version of this
20220910_182138.jpg

I've posted something similar a while ago and did some reading and refinements. This is my current thought on stocking but would like some feedback on those with expertise on some of these species as i've not kept most of them and sometime what you read doens't match reality:

Target water condition is TDS 50/GH 2/KH 1/Temp 78 winter/82 Summer/Ph whatever but probably high 6:

20 sterbai
14 urostriatum (these don't hang at the bottom)
7 festum
6 angels
8-12 geo mirabllis or neambi
30 Pyrrhulina spilot
Some random plecos (mostly 6 inch or smaller; L204, L397, L128, ...)

Thank you reading and be gentle !
I don't know much anything about cichlids so I have no recommendations. So I will just say that it sounds like an amazing tank with how big it will be and that there are a TON of stocking options.
Can't wait to see this tank come together.
Make sure we get update pics! 😉

Also, stock it how you want (as long as they are all compatible). You don't have to do discus if you don't want to. You said you want this to be a geo tank so I see no issue unless your water parameters don't match up with their needs.

anewbie is asking advice on the fish listed in the first post being suitable for the tank and together. Alternative suggestions are not what has been asked for.

It doesn't matter how large your tank is you may still have problems mixing the different Cichlid species.

It doesn't matter how large your tank is you may still have problems mixing the different Cichlid species.
I absolutely agree with this statement; and you might have problems having multiple of the same species of cichlid; question is will i likely have issues with the specific species chosen in my stocking listing. I know that festum and angels are frequently found together or near each other in the wild and the geo occupy a different layer of the water column but you might know of specific issues i'm missing. Having a lot of experience with angels i know that if they pair they can be quite aggressive when breeding but as long as their is amble room for separation the issue is minimize. I'm hopeful that 8x4 feet provides that necessary space.

Your next issue is mixing catfish like the portholes and plecos with Cichlids, as these are largely nocturnal. They will cruise around at night and annoy the resting Cichlids.

So beyond removing all the fishes 'cept for geo and Pyrrhulina spilot how would you adjust the stocking?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back