Replacing Aquarium Top Frame

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CallMeJoe

Reaction score
I have a 55 gallon tank with a broken top center brace. I repaired it with an aluminum strap spanning front to back, shaped to the brace, RTVd to front and back surfaces, and super glued to the existing brace. While this seems to be holding OK, I can't help but think it would be better to replace the top frame with a new one. ThatFishPlace sells a replacement top frame, and I wanted to find out if anyone here had ever replaced such a thing and had advice on how to proceed.

I have a 55 gallon tank with a broken top center brace. I repaired it with an aluminum strap spanning front to back, shaped to the brace, RTVd to front and back surfaces, and super glued to the existing brace. While this seems to be holding OK, I can't help but think it would be better to replace the top frame with a new one. ThatFishPlace sells a replacement top frame, and I wanted to find out if anyone here had ever replaced such a thing and had advice on how to proceed.
i had the same problem with my 55 but never could find a replacement so i trimmed the broken piece in the center then welded together a aluminum rim with center then ordered a 13"x48" full light hood from petsmart all total i spent 120.00 in aluminum and the light hood havent had another problem sence,
other than when i first placed the metal rim on the tank over the factory plastic rim i had water between them from the fish splashing so i had to pull it back off and run a bead of silicone between the plastic top rim and my aluminum rim after that all is great,
that and i dont loose near the water to evaperation like i did with the 4 sheets of glass that the factory had set up, i was able to cut the full length hood to fit my air and water supply lines so they where tight,aka no more huge gap across the back for filters looks alot cleaner too.
but if you decide to order the factory rim replacement i found that my factory rim on mine had silicone between it and the top of the glass but it came off easy with some care dont rush it and dont pinch the glass or it will break,install was easy on mine i just ran another bead of silicone around the top of the glass and pressed it back on."after cleaning the old silicone off" hope this helps

How about just replicating a normal all glass tank & fit glass braces down the lentgh & across the widths??

Very cheap way of doing i considering the cheapness of glass.

Other than that if you can get a frame (plastic I assume) then just edge the old one up bit by bit as it will be stuck down with silicon.

ThatFishPlace has the Perfecto replacement frame for >$20 US. Seems the most economical way to go, but not a simple one evening project. FWIW, if I do go to that much trouble to replace the frame, I would HAVE to reinforce the center brace during the job.
Thanks to both for the prompt replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back